Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What cable is this, please?

Hi all.

I have a cable here that I would like someone to tell me if it is a normal cat5 cable, or if it is a crossover. I know as much as to tell it is one or the other.

The only details I can give are what is written on the cable itself. The writing is as follows:

NETMASTER UTP ENHANCED CAT.5 PATCH ISO/IEC 11801 & EN 50173 & TIA/EIA 568A 3P VERIFIED - 24AWGx4P TYPE CM (UL) C(UL) CMG E164469 YFC
    So, any takers?

Cheers.

I've no idea if you can ascertain the cable type from the information there, but you can attempt it another way.

Arrange the cable so that both plugs are next to each other (this will only work if the plugs are transparent and you are able to see the coloured wires within). Inspect the pins which the coloured wires are joined to. In a normal cat5 ethernet cable, the coloured wires will connect to the same pins at either end. On a crossover, you'll find that 2 of the wires are swapped over (rx/rx tx/tx is swapped to rx/tx tx/rx).

Failing that, put a volt meter on pin 1 at both ends, then pin 2 etc. and work your way down. If you get a connection for 1-1, 2-2 and so on until 8-8, then it's a normal straight-thru. If not, it's a crossover (you can dig up off the net which pins should connect to what for a crossover, I don't remember them off the top of my head).

Comment

D'oh!

I should have got the different wiring up at the ends bit myself. What a dork I am.

Turns out they are just normal Cat5 Ethernet cables. Bugger, and I wanted a crossover for 'owt.

Cheers anyways, Stu.

Comment

You could modify that cable if you wanted Tom. I'm not entirely sure how, but I remember when looking into this, it didn't seem to difficult. It would save you (maybe a fiver). Have a look around the 'net.

Comment

Just in case anyone else comes across the same problem, the word "patch" was the giveaway - a patch lead is just wired pin-to-pin.

Comment

Yeah, thanks for the help and suggestions guys. Recent developments have resulted in me having a spare crossover cable now anyway, so, Bonus!

The patch lead part is a good giveaway as well, and if one were to get hold of the correct crimping tool and a new plug, changing over the wiring wouldn't be hard at all,I imagine.

Cool.

Comment

Ah yes, heh, missed the word patch. The wire colour inspect method is probably the best if "this cable is a patch, mate" isn't written on it in future.

Comment

Working...
              X