Xbox 360 Wireless Adaptor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox 360 Wireless Adaptor

Do I have to use the official one or can I plug in any wireless USB network device?

Thanks Ya'll

Can anyone answer this one or point me in the direction of a cheap source for the official adapter?

Comment

If you want a wireless USB adapter you'll have to use the official one. MS - not surprisingly, yet dishearteningly - will probably never include the right drivers for other devices. If you want to go wireless on the cheap, you might consider getting a wireless ethernet access point.

It connects through the ethernet cable, but requires a power source. Most will do this through an external power source, ie. plug. However, there is at least one which can be powered through the usb socket.

Here are some general ones: http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...ubcategory=335 (fine if you just can't trail cables accross your house)

And here's the exciting usb-powered model: http://www.lambdatek.co.uk/component...;prodID=B14220

I like shafting greedy gits.

Comment

I think Kays catalogue is the cheapest place for the official one.

?45 i believe and then a further discount if its your first order.

Comment

So 36GBP inc delivery? That's quite good given the RRP of over 60!

However, if you wanted more versatility, you might want to grab the one I mentioned, since it will work with any ethernet device out-of-the-box, since it's an external device and therefore requires no drivers.

Comment

It's not bad that Kays offer I may well do that at the end of the month, thanks for the tip off.

I'm not too bothered about having flexibility as I only have my main PC on the wireless network, although I can see it being more useful (and cheaper) for some people to go with an ethernet bridge.

Comment

Be warned, though - I ordered one from Kays just over a month ago, and my experience with them was utterly rubbish.

I ordered it on the July 7th, and was quoted a 'worst possible scenario' delivery date of August 8th, as it was being shipped directly from their suppliers. I was billed when I placed the order, and then heard nothing from them until August 8th, when I thought I'd call them to try and find out what was happening.

They told me that it had been shipped that day, and I would have it tomorrow. No prob, I thought... I worked from home that day as the chap on the end of the phone said it was coming via courier.

No sign of it August 9th - called Kays back, they said that according to their system its status was 'returned', and that 'it happens sometimes when the package gets damaged in transit'. I was told I could either reorder, or get a refund. I asked what date I could expect to receive it if I reordered - September 28th! I asked to speak to a supervisor, to explain the situation (and hopefully get it expedited a bit, given the situation), and the extremely unhelpful girl on the other end of the phone point-blank to put me through!

Needless to say, I asked for a refund.

I'm currently looking at the Buffalo WLI-TX4-G54HP - a wireless bridge with built-in 4 port switch (so I can run my xbox, x360 and htpc all from the same connection). Very favourable reviews, too. Only downsides over the official wireless adaptor would be ease of configuration (unless you have a buffalo wireless router), and requirement of a plug socket. I was considering the Linksys WET54G, but discounted it due to numerous poor reviews, and that it was more expensive than the Buffalo (looks prettier, though).

Comment

So let me get this right. I plug my 360 via ethernet into my wireless bridge which will sit behind the TV. This bridge then connects via wireless to my wireless router which connects to my ADSL line.

End result, no wires between my 360 and my router ?

Comment

Originally posted by Unwell Cat
                  So let me get this right. I plug my 360 via ethernet into my wireless bridge which will sit behind the TV. This bridge then connects via wireless to my wireless router which connects to my ADSL line.

End result, no wires between my 360 and my router ?
                  Spot on.

Some bridges/routers don't like working together, but the Buffalo model I linked above seems to be compatible with most routers.

Comment

Working...
                  X