Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prog. Scan

Hi
    After finding out the NTSC Wii will support Prog scan and that Wii will need all the help it can get for the games to look beautiful I have a few questions:

Where can I get a Prog. Scan tv? (Doesnt need to do HD Like 720p)

How much to they tend to cost?

Is it that great a difference/improovement over SD?

Does anything PAL ever support it?

1) Actually Prog. Scan TV's (known as EDTV's) are extremely uncommon in the UK. Your best bet really is one of the lower-end HDTV's.

2) If going for a HDTV, they can go as low as ~?350 if you buy online, though obviously the more you pay, the better. If your wanting to do it on a budget, save the bit extra for one of the Samsung HDTV's. But there are better screens than the Samsungs for sure, they are just good for the price.
    www.ebuyer.com actually have a pretty decent range of budget non-'HD-Ready' TV's. Most of them perfectly capable of most HD resolutions, and definately Prog. Scan.

3) Depends who you ask. I personally think a well-deinterlaced interlaced input can look very nearly as good as 480p. There's a difference, but it's not night-and-day IMO.
    It's nice to use, or nice if you have an LCD screen with a **** deinterlacer... but lets not forget the resolution of the screen is the same, just the manner in which the screen is refreshed.

4) There are PAL PS2 games that support 576p (the PAL version of Prog. Scan. The PAL 360 supports both PAL Prog. Scan (576p) and NTSC Prog Scan (480p), though you really wanna go 60Hz (480p) with the 360 since many games don't even support 50Hz.
    There are tons of PAL Prog. Scan DVD Players out there.

Comment

Working...
    X