PAL Gamecube via Component

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAL Gamecube via Component

Currently running my PAL GC using official RGB scart but thinking of picking up a component cable and component switch from Play Asia.

I know I will not get 480p from PAL games but what resolution will I get and will there be a noticeable improvement?.

Might also pick up a cheap PS2 component cable at the same time to try GT4 in HD

You will get 480i for 60Hz games, 576i for 50Hz games - exactly the same as what you get from RGB Scart.

It depends on your screen really... a lot of screens have superior support for Component than RGB Scart, whereas others support RGB better.

Assuming you do not wish to import any NTSC games, then I wouldn't bother unless there is a real problem with playing the GameCube on your screen over RGB.

On paper, RGB Scart should give superior quality than Component for interlaced resolutions since Scart ouputs in pure RGB - Component is just considered better because the superior bandwidth utilisation allows for Progressive Scan and HD. Unless your going to use those, there's no point.
    It is a common misconception that Component is always better.

Comment

does the PAL version of GT4 support HD?

Comment

Originally posted by Roddie
        does the PAL version of GT4 support HD?
        Pretty sure that only the Jap & US versions of GT4 do. Think the prog scan support was removed for the UK release (good ol' Sony).

Comment

The PAL version of GT4 does not support HD.

Comment

GT 4 only do 480P and 1080i for menus on NTSC format .

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
              It is a common misconception that Component is always better.
              You're right.

My PAL PS2 looks awful on my TFT via component, very poor compared to RGB on any other screen in my house.

Some GC games look superb in ProScan, others I can't really tell the difference between ProScan and RGB.

Comment

ps2 via 480i on component looks miles better than rgb on my samsung sm940mw monitor. rgb on that looks only marginally better than composite

as for gt4, in 480p and 1080i the osd looks rank, really blocky. in 480i it's fine of course. at those other res's, the actual 3D models/track are in hi res

Comment

Thanks for the replies
                  Think I will leave the GC & PS2 on RGB scart and the 360 can have the component connection to itself!

Comment

Working...
                  X