Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting the best out of my set-up

Hey,

I've got quite a few questions and if anyone could answer any of them I would really appreciate it. I basically want to get the best out of my set-up at home in terms of picture quality.

First the TV, i've got a widescreen KD-28DL11U, it seems to support RGB, S-Video and 16:9. It doesn't say whether it supports component or p.scan in the manual so I'll assume that it doesn't.

Connected to it i've got a load of consoles but the main ones are the ps2, xbox and gamecube.

The ps2 is a chipped one, and when I use this, it seems to cut a little of the screen of, in some games this isn't a problem but in some its pretty annoying. I've messed around with the settings on the TV and can get a reasonable view now. A lot of games also seem to flicker a lot, DQ VIII (US) has this problem for example. With this, I don't know whether its simply the games that have this inherently, the fact that i'm playing on a PAL chipped console, hich apparently can cause problems or the way i'm connecting to the TV. I use the standard PS2 scart, with the 3 coloured cables going into the back of the scart connector. If I were to get an RGB scart would this make a difference?

The xbox and gamecube are usually ok, although games on these consoles sometimes seem to flicker as well. I use the standard scarts with these consoles and I don't know how much of a difference that makes. My xbox is set to support PAL60 and widescreen so I should be getting the best picture I can from that other than the fact that i'm not using RGB or component.

With all the consoles I also find that some games really don't look to great in 16:9 and seem stretched even though I have it set to support this on the console, for example. Are some games simply not made to support this feature?

As for the flickering I honestly don't know if this natural on this generation's consoles or whether it is something that can be fixed, i've only really noticed it recently to be honest.

One final question, when a PAL game asks if you would like to play in 60hz, will it play at the regular speed without the 17.5% drop, I ask because i've heard there's a difference between pal60 and NTSC support in a game but I can't find out what this is.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the mass of (stupid) questions.

Mike

Basically you want RGB cables for all of the consoles, this will give you the best possible picture. It is MUCH better than the standard yellow red/white leads (composite), using an RGB lead may also solve any problems with the TV cutting edges off.

Pal60 and NTSC are pretty much the same thing, they run at exactly the same speed. This will always be your best bet.

Comment

Originally posted by Champloo
      One final question, when a PAL game asks if you would like to play in 60hz, will it play at the regular speed without the 17.5% drop, I ask because i've heard there's a difference between pal60 and NTSC support in a game but I can't find out what this is.
      For all intents and purposes, PAL60 and NTSC are the same thing.... same resolution (480i) and same refresh rate (60Hz). The difference is that PAL uses PAL colour encoding and NTSC uses NTSC colour encoding.

PAL60 is used because it's more compatible with PAL TV's than NTSC, but do remember the colour encoding is irrelevent when using an RGB Scart cable - RGB is RGB.

Comment

I see thats great, I'll have to hunt down some RGB cables in that case.

About the flickering, i've been pretty vague about this, but would the RGB cables possibly solve this problem. Its not actually the screen that seems to flicker, the edges around characters or objects does for example, but its quite noticeable and I don't really see it on friends TV's on some of the same games. It may eb that i'm playing on a bigger screen so that its more noticeable but its really annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Champloo
          I see thats great, I'll have to hunt down some RGB cables in that case.

About the flickering, i've been pretty vague about this, but would the RGB cables possibly solve this problem. Its not actually the screen that seems to flicker, the edges around characters or objects does for example, but its quite noticeable and I don't really see it on friends TV's on some of the same games. It may eb that i'm playing on a bigger screen so that its more noticeable but its really annoying.
          Composite cables on NTSC/PAL60 games can sometimes cause an almost chequered like effect around objects in game.

Comment

You should never use a Composite cable anyway, always go for RGB Scart... preferably the official onec, they're expensive, but well worth the cost. The official Sony RGB Scart is the best quality cable I've ever seen, even better than the MS ones.

Comment

OK then, i'll pick a few RGB cables up. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Sorry, one last question. Is it worth buying the official cables for all the consoles, there pretty pricey compared to the third party ones.

Comment

I've very rarely had official RGB cables (the Xbox is the only one, I think) and never had a problem. Stick to the better third-parties and you should be fine.

Comment

Well, in the case of the PS2, I've had 5 different third party cables, and the official one blew them away.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
                      Well, in the case of the PS2, I've had 5 different third party cables, and the official one blew them away.
                      I find that the Blaze RGB cable blows away even the official one. I've been using it since about 1996 though so maybe you can't get them any more.
                      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi
                        I find that the Blaze RGB cable blows away even the official one. I've been using it since about 1996 though so maybe you can't get them any more.
                        Is that the one with the "breakout box" that has an additional composite and audio output? I think it was a Blaze lead I bought years ago, and it was truly awful.

Anything with red had loads of interference.

Comment

Believe it or not, I've actually found that I had a RGB cable connected to my old PSX without realising how superior it was to the normal PS2 composite cable.

It has made a massive difference and using it i've been able to more or less fix the screen cut problems as i've now got an option to center the screen on the TV.

I'll be picking up RGB cables for both the Gamecube and Xbox next in any case.

Thanks again, this has really made my day. ^.^
                          Last edited by Champloo; 13-06-2006, 12:23.

Comment

Working...
                          X