• Show
Clear All

Which Graphics Card ??

Hey

I am buying a new pc, and I have the choice of two graphics cards

They are
    Dual 256MB PCI-Express x16 NVIDIA? GeForce? 7900 GT - SLI Enabled
    or 512MB PCI-Express x16 ATI RADEON? X1900 XTX

The machine is intended for gaming, however, I have no idea which is better?

any advice would be greatly appreciated !

use that to compare

Comment

When they say Sli enabled do they mean it has two graphics cards or one graphics card with a spare slot ?

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy
        When they say Sli enabled do they mean it has two graphics cards or one graphics card with a spare slot ?
        two graphics cards (in this one)

Comment

Well judging by the bencmarks it seems pretty balanced with the 7900 being better at somethings and the ati at others

I would go with the ATI though as thats all i have used for the past few years

Comment

to be honest... they are both great cards, providing your other components are upto it i can't see you having any problems with any games at the moment... maybe F.E.A.R or Oblivion on S00pa D00pa Settings might challenge them but anything else with run maxed fine

Comment

How about waiting for the 7950GX2 or whatever it's called or some other DX10 cards when Vista launches? Seems like you may as well save a bit longer and get something that will last even longer. Still both of those cards are very good so either would be adequate I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSpoon
                How about waiting for the 7950GX2 or whatever it's called or some other DX10 cards when Vista launches? Seems like you may as well save a bit longer and get something that will last even longer. Still both of those cards are very good so either would be adequate I assume.
                can't really wait unfortunately, my old machine is dying and it wont' last long

also I i am buying pre-built but customisable (can't be bothered to build my own) so sort of limited to the options available in the system

Comment

Although I prefer nvidia cards, I don't think SLI and the hassle it can bring is worth it if you can get a single GPU of comparable power.

Pretty much top of the line there. Are you buying some kind of ultimate gaming machine?

Comment

Originally posted by wush
                    Although I prefer nvidia cards, I don't think SLI and the hassle it can bring is worth it if you can get a single GPU of comparable power.

Pretty much top of the line there. Are you buying some kind of ultimate gaming machine?
                    yup liquid cooling, duel core processor etc etc etc

Comment

If you are wanting a build a top end system then I personally would wait for Intel's new 'Conroe' processors, which are due pretty soon now (August I think?). That's just me though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hohum
                        If you are wanting a build a top end system then I personally would wait for Intel's new 'Conroe' processors, which are due pretty soon now (August I think?). That's just me though.
                        i don't really have much choice tbh, my old machine is dying and probably won't last till then

Comment

Personally Nvidia have better driver support, IMO. ATI also 'fiddle' the results alot in their favour, usally there isn't much between the two.

Comment

well considering that the ati x1900xtx is more powerful than the 7900gtx(512mb) its a no brainer.

also the ati card is the only card capable of hdr lighting and anti alaising at the same time.

also important to note is the fact that the 7900gt is only 256mb mem, compared to 512mb of the 1900xtx.

x1900xtx without question(did i mention the image quality is better on the ati cards too??).

Comment

Working...
                            X