Dell system restore - disks needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell system restore - disks needed?

Has anyone done this? Is a Windows CD needed for a serial or whatever? I want to start again as it were, but I don't appear to have any Windows CD. Obviously I don't want to get half way through before realising I can't actually re-install Windows!

yes u do need the windows cd you had to pay extra with dell to get it. so unless you no anoter source youll have to buy/borrow a windows cd

Comment

Originally posted by heavenly sun
      yes u do need the windows cd you had to pay extra with dell to get it. so unless you no anoter source youll have to buy/borrow a windows cd
      No you don't

Dell use system restore by creating a hidden partition on the disc (Not viewable in windows). Basically you need to hold a couple of buttons down when you first turn on the machine. Let me know what model dell it is and i'l find out which ones

Comment

Try turning on the PC, then immediately when the dell screen shows press Control, hold it then press F11 together and hold them.

Any dell pc bought 2004 onwards should work this way, others use a different method

Comment

Yeah I knew the button combo, just wanted to make sure I could finish what I started!

Cheers for the help

Comment

Yeh you'l have no problem, The Motherboard will probably have been DMI'd at factory so chances of being asked for the XP Serial on restore is very slim.

If however you do get asked it should be stuck somewhere on the bottom of the machine (if laptop) or either the side, or top if PC.

Comment

Working...
            X