Rareware games on the N64: NTSC Vs PAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rareware games on the N64: NTSC Vs PAL

I'm well aware of NTSC superiority when it comes to N64 games. Wave Race 64, Lylat Wars, Excitebike 64.... all suffered from bad PAL conversions. Letterboxed visuals, fluctuating framerates & noticeably slower.

However the exception to the rule seemed to be Rareware titles. Full screen and well optimised.

So my question is this - Are NTSC Rareware games superior in any way to their PAL counterparts?

Do the NTSC versions of Goldeneye, DKR & Perfect Dark suffer from less slowdown?

Or are PAL Rare games the definative versions?

Thanks

I can definately say that the PAL Goldeneye actually plays better than the NTSC one. Rare did everything right making sure everything was as smooth as possible for us PALers.

Comment

Didn't Mario Kart 64 get optimised as well? When I switched to the ntsc rareware versions (so I don't have to have 2 consoles hanging around), I flogged the pal stuff, so I can't do a comparison.

However, if they were optimised for 50Hz, wouldn't they run at 25fps instead of 30fps? Thus making the ntsc versions better (as long as they could keep a solid 30fps).

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
        However, if they were optimised for 50Hz, wouldn't they run at 25fps instead of 30fps? Thus making the ntsc versions better (as long as they could keep a solid 30fps).
        Does the NTSC version keep a steady 30fps though?

Playing PAL Goldeneye multiplayer with the radar switched off - I'd always know when someone entered one of the larger rooms in the Basement level (ie the ones with all the columns). Cause things on screen would slow down just a touch.

I assume the NTSC version has slowdown as well. However if its no worse and the game runs slightly faster - then yay.
        Last edited by craptest; 07-07-2006, 11:32.

Comment

Working...
        X