360 HD settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

360 HD settings

I just got this telly. It outputs at 1080p. What setting should I put my 360 on? I know 720p is it's native resolution, but then the TV will have to downscale right? I'm a bit confused about what'll give me the best picture and I'd appreciate some help.

Ta.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Nice Tv

i use 720P on my x360 as its the native resolution on the X360 -1080P is as far as i know not supported on the x360 - Only PS3 can output this

1080I is also having to be upscaled (?) and so the framrate can suffer

this is just my perspective and as far as i know on the whole HD setting minefield

Comment

Originally posted by wehrwulf
      Nice Tv

i use 720P on my x360 as its the native resolution on the X360 -1080P is as far as i know not supported on the x360 - Only PS3 can output this

1080I is also having to be upscaled (?) and so the framrate can suffer

this is just my perspective and as far as i know on the whole HD setting minefield
      Thanx, I kinda bought it for when we get the PS3 and the Sky HD should be here soon.

I'm better off leaving the 360 at 720p and making the TV downscale instead of making the 360 upscale? 360 doesn't do 1080p though, just 1080i. Perhaps I shall use the VGA port instead, maybe I can achieve a better picture from that.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

It depends on whether or not the TV's scaler is better than the 360's. If the TV is better (more than likely) stick with 720p since then the 360 isn't doing any extra work, but if it's not just set the 360 to 1080i.

Comment

As a general rule, stick to 720p on the 360.... games will be progressive, and most games are 720p native anyway. But give 1080i a go and if it looks better, go with that...

Comment

Indeed, I would stick to 720p if using the standard Component cable as Shakey_Jake33 said, however I would recommend upgrading to the VGA cable.

All resolutions using the VGA cable are progressive and there are many to choose from, so try them out an see which one looks and feels best for you.

I personally could never go back to the Component cable and 720p after using 1280x1024 WS using the VGA cable.

-----------------------

Shakey_Jake33, love the avatar. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu was great, although it really pissed me off that no-one subbed it in HDTV. Why have something in 1280x720 and put it down to 640x480!

Comment

There's no chance the 360's scaler will be better than the one in the TV - stick with 720p. I don't think there's much point getting a VGA lead though - you can disable edge enhancement and overscan in the X's menus. (the main advantage of using VGA on most LCDs is getting past those two things) I believe the X handles VGA the same as the V series and won't take 1280x720 anyway. (and because they use WCG-CCFL, I predict it'll have screwed-up colours over VGA too)

Comment

Main reason I use VGA is the simple fact that my TV seems to have better support for VGA than Component, simple as. I do stick to 1280x720 (dispite my screen being 1366x768 ) because, as andrewfree says, the scaler in the 360 isn't too hot, and my TV does a better job.

Getting besides the point though, go 720p. I think the main reason the 360 supports scaling to 1080i is because 1080i CRT HDTV's are apparently common in the US.

Originally posted by 3x3cut10n3r
                Shakey_Jake33, love the avatar. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu was great, although it really pissed me off that no-one subbed it in HDTV. Why have something in 1280x720 and put it down to 640x480!
                Haruhi is brill, certainly my fave new anime of this year. Shame the last episode was this week, hope they plan to cover more of the novels. The series doesn't seem very big name though, unfortunately
                Didn't know it was broadcast in 720p in Japan! Damn shame they never subbed in 720p... been watching the 720p Ergo Proxy subs (Shinsen ones) and there's no going back.

Comment

Intresting article on why 720P is better than 1080I

Comment

720p ftw.Like wehrwulf said,some games have trouble in 1080p.

Comment

Well I see the specs say 1080, but there is no mention of 1080progressive.
                      The TV is infact upscaling when you set the 360 to 720p. Because the native res is 1920x1080, everything bellow that has to be sized upwards to match it, not downscaled.

There are 1920x1080 TVs on the market that accept 1080p signals, but do not output 1080p (it converts to 1080i first). Many are also locked at 30fps which means that despite running a 60fps game in 720p (COD2, Ridge Racer 6), only 30fps get output.
                      This is why for the 360, 720p is king. Because the moment you set the console to 1080i, all hope of playing 60fps capable games at that framerate goes out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by 3x3cut10n3r
                        Indeed, I would stick to 720p if using the standard Component cable as Shakey_Jake33 said, however I would recommend upgrading to the VGA cable.

All resolutions using the VGA cable are progressive and there are many to choose from, so try them out an see which one looks and feels best for you.

I personally could never go back to the Component cable and 720p after using 1280x1024 WS using the VGA cable.
                        Do you mean to tell me that you can get 1080p through a VGA cable!? Mind you, my TV doesn't support it, so I suppose it wouldn't make any difference.

Comment

No, you can't. 1080p is 1920 x 1080. VGA's greatest selectable resolution is 1360 x 768.

Comment

Originally posted by monomaniacpat
                            Do you mean to tell me that you can get 1080p through a VGA cable!? Mind you, my TV doesn't support it, so I suppose it wouldn't make any difference.
                            VGA itself is capable of it, but the 360 is not.

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenheit
                              Well I see the specs say 1080, but there is no mention of 1080progressive.
                              The TV is infact upscaling when you set the 360 to 720p. Because the native res is 1920x1080, everything bellow that has to be sized upwards to match it, not downscaled.
                              The X series does 1080p50 and 1080p60 via HDMI, and also allows you to disable overscan and edge-enhancement. (but it doesn't support 1080p24sF, 1080p48/72 for BluRay/HD-DVD)

Comment

Working...
                              X