Updating a chipped X-Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating a chipped X-Box

Im wanting to put XBMC onto a chipped X-Box i have that only has player on it. The machine has lots of games on it that i dont wish to lose so what i am wondering is if i use the Slayers disc will it overwrite the programs that are already on there,or just install what is missing/extra?

Thanks.

Are you able to FTP into the box mate? That way you could just FTP via your PC, and delete the folder, and replace with a newer version?

Failing that I guess you could do it the complicated way of burning the new XBMC onto cd, copying that onto the new machine using the file manager of XBMP, then in theory you should have both installed (I had both on my machine at one point) then you could just check it's all ok before deleting the old one?

Make sense?

Comment

Nick, is there not an option on the Slayer's disc that'll allow you to just install XBMC & nothing else?

If there is I don't think there should be any risk of losing your games. However, as Friction says FTP may be the best option as you can install the latest version (I think the one on the Slayer's I sent you is pretty old) & also be 100% sure of exactly where it's all going.

Comment

FTP-ing into the xbox and just putting the latest XBMC in the apps folder is by far the easiest way to go. You don't have to worry about losing anything, it's just like installing a program onto your pc.

Comment

XBMC is updated almost daily and has changed significantly recently so the version on Slayers disk will undoubtedly be outdated.
          If you want to use it as a dash it should really go in E:\apps now.
          It now comes with a small .xbe to redirect the loader so you can call it something that your bios can boot e.g if you are currently booting evox, rename default.xbe to evoxdash.xbe and copy it to c:\ (should replace the existing file).Copy all the other files to e:\apps\xbmc
          If your Xbox fails to boot you can still use the slayer disk to get FTP access and make changes.

Comment

Working...
          X