Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody know what the biggest selling game ever is in Japan...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody know what the biggest selling game ever is in Japan...

Can anybody tell me the top 5 best selling games ever in Japan. Or failing that what the biggest selling game is. Would also like to know how many copies it shifted...

My guess is it will be Final Fantasy VII but would just like it confirmed and the sales.

Cheers

I'd say that it's probably one of the Dragon Quest series (maybe VIII?).

Comment

i thought it was final fantasy 7 or even 10 for that matter.

Comment

FF 7 & 10 were recently voted the top 2 games of all time by Famitsu readers:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...1&limitstart=0

However, in terms of sales figures I'm pretty sure Super Mario Bros on the Famicom/ NES is still top dog in both Japan (over 6 million units I think?) & Worldwide (40 million + units according to Guiness records). May even be higher if you factor in sales of the 20th Anniversary re-release on the GBA.

In Japan I think the rest of the top 5 is still mainly made up of Gameboy titles inc. various Pokemon titles & Tetris. Not sure of the order though.
        Last edited by tom-nook; 16-07-2006, 18:03.

Comment

I read somewhere some time back that it was Super Mario Bros 3 on the Famicom..

Comment

Oh i thought one of you boffins would have known for sure.

I was chatting to a mate who seamed to think Animal Crossing DS was now in the top 10 biggest selling ever games in Japan its got about 3.2 million sales in Japan. he didn't know where he heard the info though.

This got me thinking about the top selling games ever...

Comment

Was thinking that entry, before I remembered it doesn't list by region, only worldwide.
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

That list is amazing...

Blue Stinger the third biggest selling Dreamcast game??? Crusing USA on the N64 outsold games like Jet Force Gemini, Pilotwings, Banjo Tooie, and Paper Mario.

The DS sales are a bit out of date though.

Top 10 biggest selling games ever are all Nintendo games or on Nintendo platforms.
                Last edited by The Mole; 17-07-2006, 11:17.

Comment

According to this it's Pokemon Red/Blue/Green at 10,224,500 copies. In fact the top three are all Pokemon with a total of 22,726,000 which makes the popularity of the DS coupled with the impending release of Diamond/Pearl (online play!) an absolutely terrifying prospect. Shop staff are quivering in fear.

Comment

I don't think that list is a list of all-time Japanese top sellers.

Whilst Tetris 360 makes the list (with just over 5000 units sold) there isn't a single Famicom or Megadrive game on there. The figures could well be accurate but I'd guess it must only include units sold within the last 10-15 years or so.
                    Last edited by tom-nook; 23-07-2006, 00:18.

Comment

Ginga Fukei Densetsu: Sapphire (PCE) - 18,750

I thought this game was supposed to be quite rare.

Comment

Working...
                      X