Viper mod chip (GC)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viper mod chip (GC)

I'm currently thinking of picking up a cube again mainly to play imports. I've been offered a PAL Cube fitted with a Viper chip on another forum. The guy selling doesn't really use it for anything other than PAL games so doesn't know that much about it other than it plays imports.

I've read a bit about the Qoob chip (& know it plays imports & can force prog scan in some PAL games) but haven't heard anything about the Viper at all. Is it as good as the Qoob & are there any major differences between them?

I'd guess the guy probably doesn't know what bios is installed - if it's just the default 'factory' bios will it still run imports ok or would I need to mess about flashing it?

Also if anybody can give me a rough idea of what's a fair price I'd really appreciate it.

Sorry for all the q's & thanks in advance!
    Last edited by tom-nook; 26-07-2006, 21:38.

Not sure if it will help mate but I found this pretty decent Mod Chip site the other day - they have lots of information about mod chips and downloadable manuals etc.

Here is the page for the Viper chip - Clicky

And btw, no Q's there mate, you were talking about Gamecubes (sounded funny in my head!)

Comment

I have a related question - so I hope Tom-Nook doesnt mind me adding it to this thread

I have read that some Japanese games (Donkey Konga's, etc) will not save correctly/at all if used in a US/UK Gamecube console (using either Freeloader or modchips) IIRC it is because a UK/US Gamecube cannot format the memory card correctly for Japanese game save files.

So what I was wondering is, if I bought a Japanese Gamecube and modded it using a QOOB Pro, would that be able to save JPN games correctly? (such as JPN Donkey Konga)

...and, would I still be able to save all UK/US games on a modded JPN Gamecube? OR would the opposite occur (eg I could now save Japanese games correctly but some UK/US games wouldnt save)?

Basically im just wondering if a modded Japanese Gamecube would be the most 'universal/best' Gamecube I could get, if you see what I mean

Thanks in advance

<EDIT> Oh! and btw Tom-Nook, I do know that only the QOOB Pro can force progressive scan in some games, I made a thread about it here:-
      http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=61435
      Hope that helps abit!
      Last edited by Link83; 27-07-2006, 03:19.

Comment

The ViperGC was the first GC modchip, and it's perfectly fine... upgradable bios, runs imports, backups and whatever else you wanna throw at it.

The Qoob is better though, sporting a larger flash size and more features such as Progressive Scan.
        Viper followed this up with the ViperGC Extreme sporting a larger flash size again, external USB port (which unfortunately hasn't really been used) and more.

But the Viper is fine, it will run anything you want, true universal GC. If the Force Prog. Scan mode of the Qoob doesn't mean much to you, go for it.

Comment

There is really only one choice with Gamecubes - a region switched NTSC cube. Cheapest and easiest. There's loads of 2nd hand ntsc games on ebay, so you won't be missing out on anything by not having pal capability.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
            There is really only one choice with Gamecubes - a region switched NTSC cube. Cheapest and easiest. There's loads of 2nd hand ntsc games on ebay, so you won't be missing out on anything by not having pal capability.
            Plus you can buy a pal cube for like ?10!

Comment

Thanks for all the info & links - very much appreciated

I'm definitely leaning towards a switched ntsc cube because it can do all I really want (play imports) & can be picked up pretty cheaply now. However, If I can get a good deal on the chipped PAL cube I might go for it as I wouldn't need to pick up a step-down/ UK psu. Also some ntsc games don't incl. prog scan so it might be easier & cheaper to just pick up the PAL release.

Shakey_Jake33. Thanks for the info on the Qoob/ Viper chips. Do you know if the 'default' Viper bios (assuming it hasn't flashed it since) would be sufficient to boot ntsc games? Whilst the Viper won't force prog scan I'm guessing it'll still allow prog scan mode in games that natively support it? Thanks bud.

Cheers again guys!
              Last edited by tom-nook; 27-07-2006, 08:52.

Comment

I have no idea tbh. but it's easy as hell to flash the latest bios on there - burn the bios to a mini-DVDR, it will install it. It's general practice with all modchips these days.

Perhaps charlesr's suggestion is the best one for the average person, it's the easiest solution too. I personally want a 'true' universal machine though, with the ability to boot homebrew, so...
                I love my Qoob, because I can force games into 480p, PAL60 or NTSC without having to rebuy my collection.

Or course, any game that supports 480p natively will run in 480p regardless of what method you take. Suppose the bonus of Qoob is the ability to run games in 480p which didn't even support 480p in their NTSC form, such as Killer7, RE2/3/CV etc. Depends how serious you are.

tbh mate, if you've been offered a Viper, take it. Not many stores sell premodded Cubes, so it's quite a find, and will always find a nice price if you choose to sell it because of this.

Comment

Working...
                X