Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XP OEM - no discs. How do I create a windows image?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XP OEM - no discs. How do I create a windows image?

My PC came with OEM Xp pro but no disc. Is this normal? It was the same with my wife's laptop, except that allowed me to burn 8 CDs to restore it to the original settings if anything went wrong (i.e. easy windows install), but it's an IBM thing.

Should I be able to do something similar on my PC? If anything goes wrong with the HD, I'm screwed without the original windows disc surely? Why the hell don't they supply one with OEM?

what make and model is it?

very well maybe a hidden partiton with recovery image on.

Comment

I've found the recovery image in a partition, but that doesn't help me if the HD dies. However, after a bit more sleuthing:

Bart's PE Builder helps you build a 'BartPE' (Bart Preinstalled Environment) bootable Windows CD-Rom or DVD from the original Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 installation/setup CD, very suitable for PC maintenance tasks.

Let's you build a windows bootable CD, much like Knoppix!

DriveImage XML is an easy to use backup and restore program for Windows. Part of Runtime's Data Recovery Software products.

Let's you make drive images. This app can be run from the the PE boot CD above.

Sorted.

Comment

\o/

Just tried it. You can browse all the files, install stuff (including a drive image), run networking, remote desktop, ultravnc etc. There's a plugin for Ghost, although the dixml linked above sounds like a better bet because you don't need Ghost because it stores the image as xml rather than proprietory. There's even a firefox browser plugin.

Comment

get a copy of xp oem pro and use the key off the sticker on side of the pc

Comment

Most of the time, you won't have a Windows disc, nor be entitled to a backup, since they only paid for Windows to be preinstalled.

Comment

Originally posted by wod
              get a copy of xp oem pro and use the key off the sticker on side of the pc
              I may well do that, although after figuring out the above, the clean install will be a last resort.

Comment

there's a high chance it won't work with that though, as the laptop will probably have xp pro corporate edition (no need for activation), in which case the oem pro cd won't recognise the corp key.

all the dodgy xp pro's on the net are corp, so you can probably see where i'm heading with this*

*although technically isn't it ok as the license you're using is a proper one?

Comment

Working...
                X