X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap Magic

1. Wheres the best place to get one?
    2. Is it easy to install? Im very clumsy and don't want to cock up my PS2
    3. Will it allow me to play imported PSone games as well as imported PS2 games?

Thanks in advance

Make sure you get the newest version (3.6), and the correct version for your region console.

Install-wise, what kind of PS2 is this? Old-style or slimline? It's relatively simple either way, but it's actually slightly easier on the Slimline.
    On the old-style, you basically need to install a flip-top shell on your console (you can use a 'slide tool' to slide out your disc tray if you fancy knackering it). On the Slimline, I believe you just use a little thing externally to trick the lid sensor.

To run PS1 imports, you need a separate bootdisc called Breaker Pro.

tbh, after buying BOTH bootdiscs and upper shell/tools, you may as well just bought a preowned US or JPN console from the forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33
      Make sure you get the newest version (3.6), and the correct version for your region console.

Install-wise, what kind of PS2 is this? Old-style or slimline? It's relatively simple either way, but it's actually slightly easier on the Slimline.
      On the old-style, you basically need to install a flip-top shell on your console (you can use a 'slide tool' to slide out your disc tray if you fancy knackering it). On the Slimline, I believe you just use a little thing externally to trick the lid sensor.

To run PS1 imports, you need a separate bootdisc called Breaker Pro.

tbh, after buying BOTH bootdiscs and upper shell/tools, you may as well just bought a preowned US or JPN console from the forums.
      Cheers. Its an old style PS2. I might just get a US PS2 then. Thanks for the reply

Comment

I've had endless problems with Swap Magic (it pretty much killed my old PS2) so I wouldn't recommend it over the alternatives.

Comment

It worked well enough back when I used it... then I got a DMS4 Pro in my machine and never looked back. The nightmare days of having to boot up a different bootdisc with the bootdisc, or put in another game with bigger TOC just to play X game ere over... was bliss.

Even if I had to go back to an unmodded machine, I'd never touch the discs again, import machine all the way.

Comment

Depending on your PS2 and how "sensitive" the laser is, it can be a bugger to even get the discs to boot: my V7 had a helluva time reading them (and that was after lens-angle tinkering etc) and my V12 fails once every three attempts (I'm aware the infamous V12 laser's probably exploded in a gajillion pieces and burned out my eyes).

Comment

I'm fairly pleased with mine, it's a good alternative if you don't have room for a 2nd ps2 and you don't trust yourself with a soldering iron. That said, it doesn't work with all games and because I have a slimline ps2 I don't think there's a way to boot games with a bigger TOC, atleast not as far as I've been able to figure out.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can TOC swap, as long as you have at least 3.0 (that goes for the DVD too), though maybe early versions of the Magic Switch didn't allow it.

Comment

Working...
                X