What scripting language should i learn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What scripting language should i learn?

Well i am an experienced (3 years) MS 2003 network admin / IT Manager with planty of SQL time under my belt.

I have never learned any scripting because i have never really need to, however my skill set has been static for a while now and its time i had some programming under my belt.

So what language do you think i should learn? Perl, VBS, C# (Oo i know....), Python?

I am a total noob, besides PASCAL when it comes to programming, so what language do people recomend and what book/books?

Thanks for any suggestions, especialy from experienced Network admins. I would like to develop some small apps that query SQL 2000, calculate disk space, query the AD and so on

Cheeeeeeers
    Last edited by Jushin-Thunder-Liger; 31-07-2006, 13:23.

If you get into .NET either C# or VB then you'll be opening yourself up to windows forms and asp.net programming.

I wouldn't want to say its the best option for you personally as I only have a years experience under my belt but I certainly enjoy it. I also seem to find a lot of people rate Microsoft skills pretty highly.

On a side note if you do C# you'd have no trouble switching to Java since they are pretty similar.

Comment

Working...
    X