DVD Rom problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD Rom problem

Just built my self an HTPC, but have a strange problem with the dvd rom drive.
    When I put a disc cd/dvd in the draw the drive spins up but does not auto run or show whats on the disc (text under the icon)
    It plays discs fine in media center.
    Any ideas?
    Cheers in advance.

Drivers and firmware all the latest versions.

Have you got the auto play selected when you right click the dvd drive and go to properties?

Comment

yup

Comment

Out of curiosity you dont have any games installed that use the starforge protection system?

Comment

only ourtrun coast 2 coast, but I was like this before - the only way I could install this was by manual way - finding the installer on the disc.

Comment

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817357 - similar? Id assume you already have the newest SPacks etc though.

Try enabling DMA on the drive, see if that helps.

Comment

In case -

To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager

Open Device Manager.

Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
              If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:
              ?

Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.
              ?

Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available.

Comment

cheers I`ll give that a go

Comment

Aha a combination of the advice from Marcus and removing and reinstalling the drivers has done the trick.
                  Cheers
                  Chaps
                  Last edited by huxley; 06-08-2006, 16:59.

Comment

Working...
                  X