Access Point - slower internet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access Point - slower internet!

I've had the following setup for the past year or so, connected in this order:

1) Homechoice STB
    2) Netgear Wired Router (RP614)
    3) 8-Port Switch
    4) 11b Access Point (D-Link DWL-900AP+)

It's been fine, but since we got upgraded to 4mb earlier this year, I noticed the 11b speeds weren't high enough to max out the connection, giving around 3mbps (sometimes 3.5) instead of 4. Of course this isn't that much slower, but if we went up to 8mbps or something higher then it definitely would be.

When SF on 360 came out last week, I popped out to get a wireless adapter and a new access point. It's a D-Link DWL-7100AP that does a/b/g and stuff, and I'm using WPA (old AP only does WEP).

But for some strange reason, I'm getting the same speeds as before over wireless, usually worse (ranging from 1.4 to 3mbps but no more). Wired still gives the full 4mb.

Here's what I tried so far (speed achieved in brackets):

1) Ran speed test over wireless (2.5mbps)
    2) Did weird stuff like turning off WPA, etc, leaving a completely unencrypted connection, but left mac filtering on (2.7mbps)
    3) Turned off the Windows firewall. dangerous, i know, but avast is running (1.4mbps!)
    4) Upgraded the firmware (didn't do anything for the speed)

See what's strange about the whole thing is that, when copying a big file over the wireless to the other PC, it was using 20-40% of the connection, so the AP is definitely capable of more than 3mbps!

I've been thinking the exact the same thing over the last few days. I recently got upgraded to 5.5Mb and it doesn't go anything above 300kps on my laptop but I plugged it into the hub and suddenly I got 500kps+

Not really a big issue for surfing but if I'm ever downloading anything from now on it'll be plugged into the hub.

Comment

ok found a weird solution - kinda like fixing a leak with sellotape - by forcing the wireless card to run in 802.11b mode instead of g. i now get the full 4mbs of my internet connection just like i do on lan. obviously more drastic measures will need to be taken if/when we get faster internet, but i'll deal with that hurdle as i come up against it

Comment

Working...
      X