Hd Crt TV ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hd Crt TV ?

I'm after a widecreen CRT HD TV on the assumption that it will cheaper than an LCD and the fact the missus prefers them.. 26 inch would be ideal.

Anybody know if you can buy them in the UK and if so how much ? I vaguely recall seeing something in the new Next catalogue which was a Samsung 32inch slimline CRT with HD inputs...

Thanks

A true widescreen HD CRT will set you back a lot more than an LCD counterpart I would have thought. The cheapest professional 17inch 4:3 CRT monitor I have found was a JVC and it cost 1300UKP.
    Last edited by Widegoat; 11-08-2006, 12:46. Reason: spel

Comment

Originally posted by Unwell Cat
      I'm after a widecreen CRT HD TV on the assumption that it will cheaper than an LCD and the fact the missus prefers them.. 26 inch would be ideal.

Anybody know if you can buy them in the UK and if so how much ? I vaguely recall seeing something in the new Next catalogue which was a Samsung 32inch slimline CRT with HD inputs...

Thanks

That samsung slimfit HDTV is pretty horrid by all accounts.

I don't think you can actually buy any HD CRTs in the uk other than that ones.

Comment

Get a lcd.

Comment

The Samsung has been widely said to have geometry issues, which is a shame, because I can envisage HD CRTs handling current-gen games far better than LCDs.

Comment

The Samsung also has no support for 720p signals and 1080i will only work at 50Hz, which effectively makes it useless for HD gaming.

Check out trev1976's post in this thread http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread...page=283&pp=10

This TV is big and heavy but it is the most beautiful thing you will have ever seen (I call it my 'LCD killer') Everything you feed it looks absolutely stunning. It was Sony's last hurrah before abandoning CRTs to concentrate on LCD production. You may have trouble hunting one down, but I can assure you, they are worth every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenheit
              The Samsung also has no support for 720p signals and 1080i will only work at 50Hz, which effectively makes it useless for HD gaming.

Check out trev1976's post in this thread http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread...page=283&pp=10

This TV is big and heavy but it is the most beautiful thing you will have ever seen (I call it my 'LCD killer') Everything you feed it looks absolutely stunning. It was Sony's last hurrah before abandoning CRTs to concentrate on LCD production. You may have trouble hunting one down, but I can assure you, they are worth every penny.
              The TV that trev said isn't the same thing unfortunately

Comment

hmmm, in that case I'm still baffled as to the equivalent of my TV in the UK (or even if there is one).

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenheit
                  How the heck did it get HD-Ready certification?

We're at a bit of a situation here at home, I'm wanting to get a HD screen for the living room, parents are unimpressed at the 'grainy' picture on my LCD and wanna go CRT, thought the Samsung was a decent choice, I know it's not the best screen in the world, but they're actually the last people to notice such a thing... I was thinking of it as as excuse to get Telewest HD.

Comment

You're right, it looks like the offending model has been replaced.
                    The WS32Z419D seems to tick all the right boxes for certification. http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/t...Specifications but I still wouldn't jump at it without some series research first.

Here is some historical reading you may find interesting http://www.avforums.com/forums/showt...2&page=1&pp=15 but for your purposes, it might serve you fine.

Comment

Good to know!

If it was for myself, I wouldn't dream of getting it - heck, I don't like CRT's anyway after being with an LCD for the last year or so. This screen just seems like a happy medum kepping us all happy.

We have some crappy screen we got from Asda in the living room right now... on it's way out, but the IQ is pretty terrible to my eyes. They just don't see it though. With that in mind, I think any little things about the Samsung CRT HDTV that might drive us mad won't even be visible to their eyes.

Comment

May I recommend.....

....the Sony GDM-FW900 24" CRT Monitor. Runs pretty much any resolution including 720p, 1080p all the way up to 1920 x 1200.

Sony don't make this anymore. New it used to cost ?2,000, but because of the bottom falling out of the CRT market, you can pick up a decent second hand model from Ebay for under ?200.

I have one and it's lush. Mine is finished is a silvery-grey colour (it's the Sun version of the same monitor). VGA inputs only mind and watch for models where the anti-glare coating has been scratched, but that aside it's a bargain.

Comment

I thinkk my mate has screen from the same range, 'cept it's not widescreen. It was the best CRT I'd ever seen.

Comment

The FW900 is quite possibly the best monitor ever produced, but 24" is really too small for anything other than desktop viewing.

Comment

I have a Samsung 419D HD CRT hooked up to 360 via component @ 720p, Gamecube and Sky+ on RGB Scart. Picture quality is good and better than similar priced LCDs with decent black and no smearing via scart. Only issue is slight bending in the right corner but I had that with my old widescreen CRT and its not noticeable unless watching a static screen. For the money it has been a good buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X