Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure the right place to post this, but I found out that your choice of router can have a big effect on your download/upload speeds. I had a D-Link 655 which was quite unreliable, and needed booting every few days. I swapped out with an Asus Dark Night, and even on Wifi I am getting a good 20-30mbits extra on the internet connection. (Wifi running 270Mbs) All the consoles are connected via Cat5e so I haven't tested those links, but as Fibre is now quite common, it might be worth considering for others.

I tested against a server on the other side of the country (About 200miles) and it's still providing higher speeds than before.

Comment

I bought the Asus Dark Knight a few months ago, excellent router. Our house is quite old so it's got nice solid walls, but even up in the attic rooms I'm getting a full strength, full speed 5ghz wifi signal from the Dark Knight (which is downstairs and on the other side of the house). I'd definitely recommend it.

Comment

I have to big up BE. Moved to them after sky put their rates up 2-3 yes ago and the service has only go down for 30 mins in that time due to an upgrade of service which they informed me of well of on advance. Bought a new plasma which has built in WiFi and considered upgrading my router. Used their online customer support chat to request what my options were and the kind chap just said we'll send you our latest router with N speed free of charge. Very happy and I always get 16-18 Meg in tests off their 24meg line. I pay ?28 a month but that includes line rental. Bit pricey but soooo reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
          I have to big up BE. Moved to them after sky put their rates up 2-3 yes ago and the service has only go down for 30 mins in that time due to an upgrade of service which they informed me of well of on advance. Bought a new plasma which has built in WiFi and considered upgrading my router. Used their online customer support chat to request what my options were and the kind chap just said we'll send you our latest router with N speed free of charge. Very happy and I always get 16-18 Meg in tests off their 24meg line. I pay ?28 a month but that includes line rental. Bit pricey but soooo reliable.
          Thats a great price, I pay ?51 for 27MB Fibre (as fast as it goes despite being Infinty 2 )

Comment

I'd love to be in an area where ADSL was an option. I'm so far away from the bloody exchange that I'd get horrendous speeds so Virgin are currently my only option.

I just recently decided to move everything over to BT Vision, broadband and all, got through 5 or 6 steps of the order process to be told I'm not able to get their infinity package yet even though their checker says I'm able to.

Comment

Seconding the praise for Be. I've been with them years and always been impressed. I had tried to get a new router a bit ago and was turned down, but following bash's post I tried again and it was no problem this time.

Comment

Argh, might have just jinxed us by Biggin up be. They've just been bought by bloody Sky!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                  Argh, might have just jinxed us by Biggin up be. They've just been bought by bloody Sky!!!
                  I was just about to post this, and the post on bbc says once the customers have been moved over to sky they will pay 20million.

I think I will be looking around for a new Internet provider as I don't want to go on to sky broadband as its probably not as good as Be.

Any recommendations for non BT fttc providers ?

I fancy a switch to fibre optic.

Comment

Desperate times when the little guys that provide good service are being trawled up by the big guys (Nidlram RIP. BE RIP)

Try www.Vivaciti.net

Comment

So will o2 broadband be affected? Do they not use BE equipment?

Comment

Yes O2 and BE are included in the purchase.

I'm considering BT Infinity 2 and moving from BE. Zen Internet is another alternative, but at a cost and more restricted bandwidth usage. Just can't bring myself to wait for the customer move to Sky.
                        Last edited by MartyG; 01-03-2013, 11:24.

Comment

The actual BT service has been great for me. 80/20mbit at all times and now no filtering/shaping at all but the CS is not that good by all accounts.

Comment

I'm tempted to take a look at Zen or Eclipse, but I'd be paying around ?60 a month, I'm happy to pay above average for a better uncrippled service, but not keen on paying more than double - the level of choice and quality seems to have all but diminished.

Comment

Try vivaciti Marty.

Comment

They would similarly cost around ?60 a month for my requirements.

Comment

Working...
                                X