Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final got my fibre running, lot of faffing today and need a new router so it'll work with the openreach vdsl modem; there seems to be a lot of confusion around what will work and what won't :/

So, plugged directly into the PC over PPPoE

Which is not too bad, although there's some massive variation depending on which server you use.

Comment

Those Openreach modems are a right pain in the ass, I'm with Sky and it seems to be top secret as ot how you connect a device other than the Sky router.

Unfortunately I've got a version of modem that cannot be flashed with custom/non branded firmware. I believe you can disable QOS and a few other bits and bobs that might be beneficial

Comment

After making another complaint about the speed I was asked to a speed test tonight so th technical guys can check it in the morning and it miraculously has boosted.

During peak times Im getting about 14 meg up and 10 down. Surely it cannot drop that much unless BT are throttling during peak times ?.

Comment

New server - I see what you mean Marty. I stay in Glasgow, Preston is more than 50 miles from me.

BT Wholesale software which BT go by shows constant 39-44 down and 14 up with ping at 39.

I also tested it with wireless and its amazing how slower it is, I now feel like going back to LAN all round my house for everything.

Right , time to rip the skirting boards up....
          Last edited by Robster; 22-08-2013, 23:01.

Comment

Sorry I'm going a bit OCD with this now, will test it tomo during peak times so see if its consistent ...

Comment

any o2/be customers here had an offer letter from sky yet about transferring to sky's network ?

I did read they are making sky fibre pro the destination for be customers to recreate the be experience but i'm not sure i want to be paying out that much each month, i already have tv with sky and hoping my bill doesnt end up being nearly 100 a month.

Martyg, how are you getting on with your fibre internet through vivaciti ?

Comment

I haven't got the letter yet but I can tell you now, I'm not paying a penny extra!

Comment

No letter for me either.

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
                    MartyG, how are you getting on with your fibre internet through vivaciti ?
                    It's frankly astonishing - it's the uploads that matter most; running a Plex server from home means I can now access all my media as if I'm streaming from Netflix or YouTube. It's like moving from MODEM to ADSL.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
                      It's frankly astonishing - it's the uploads that matter most; running a Plex server from home means I can now access all my media as if I'm streaming from Netflix or YouTube. It's like moving from MODEM to ADSL.
                      which fibre package did you go for ? i'm looking at getting home phone included too, so been looking at fttc family 30 or 45 with 40mb/10mb upload, i dont need 80/20 connection.

Comment

My Sky fibre has been pretty robust since I had it put in.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                          My Sky fibre has been pretty robust since I had it put in.
                          have you had any problems with downloading on newsgroups etc, i already have sky tv and i'm interested in the free sky fibre unlimited if you have sky sports.

Comment

I've been looking at bonded ADSL. LOL@the prices.......

Comment

Originally posted by wod View Post
                              have you had any problems with downloading on newsgroups etc, i already have sky tv and i'm interested in the free sky fibre unlimited if you have sky sports.
                              To be honest, I've not tried newsgroups, but running a torrent seems better than it was with Virgin cable.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                                To be honest, I've not tried newsgroups, but running a torrent seems better than it was with Virgin cable.
                                ok, it's just tempting with the free fibre offer with me already having the tv,

Are you on the fibre or fibre unlimited as cant see a different apart from the speeds maybe being 80/20 on the later one.

Plus line rental at 14.50 so might be more expensive than vivaciti that I've looked at recently.

Comment

Working...
                                X