Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only have 3mbit. Netflix works as does online gaming. Downloading is slow of course. Iplayer no good either and I can't watch 3d netflix streams.

Comment

QC we are with Virgin, about three months back they tried to put our price up to ?60, as the twelve months agreed at ?50 had ended, said we were leaving and got them down to ?42 a month for 30mb broadband, phone line, Tivo and XL TV. Happy with that.
      Really is worth phoning them saying you can't afford it any longer and see what they will do. Varies who you speak to there, we have been with them for about 15 years in one guise or another.

Comment

OK, thanks team.

It really doesn't look like the competition are much cheaper anyway, so I'll see what I can haggle them down to first.

Comment

I have 3Mb broadband and Netflix at 1080p works flawlessly. Downloading PS+ **** is an overnight job though sadly. I actually supplement mine with tethering my phone at home for general browsing, as I get 18 - 22Mb on there with 4G.

If I could get Virgin in my flat I would have it though. Cable broadband is the bomb.

Comment

I migrated from Be to Sky Fibre Pro for ?30, so far pretty good.

Had an issue with the line which got sorted out next day by the BTO engineer. No throttling or capping issues.

Originally posted by wod View Post
            Well I've had my offer letter from sky today and as I'm with Be they have offered to move me to sky fibre unlimited pro, sky talk free time with line rental for ?30.40 a month seems good to me.

I was paying similar price with Be anyway.

On the back of the letter it says I get a welcome discount of ?15 per month for 12 mths otherwise it would be ?45.40.

Stated on the letter is I'm not going to be tied into a minimum term either which is good.

Just wondering what to do as I'm thinking get bt back for the sport channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Bredrin View Post
              I migrated from Be to Sky Fibre Pro for ?30, so far pretty good.

Had an issue with the line which got sorted out next day by the BTO engineer. No throttling or capping issues.
              Yeah it seems good so far been on it since 7th April.

Great for downloading big files but not sure I need internet this fast.

Comment

I dropped the paper billing and non-standard TV channels and managed to reduce my bill by ?10 a month!

Strangely enough, they also boosted my broadband speed from 30 to 50mb!

Comment

OMGZOR http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
                  My exchange has appeared on the list. Exchange upgraded maybe in June, so some time in Q4 possibly for the cabinet upgrade.

Comment

I just saw the fibre optic cable arrive inside the new telephone cabinet at the end of the road. It is so tiny. It was blown a few miles down the tube by air pressure. Amazing! So maybe will have the chance to have high speed in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                      I just saw the fibre optic cable arrive inside the new telephone cabinet at the end of the road. It is so tiny. It was blown a few miles down the tube by air pressure. Amazing! So maybe will have the chance to have high speed in the next couple of weeks.
                      nice but you wont be going with bt as the provider ?

Comment

Line has just been activated for FTTC.
                        I'm looking to get 80/20
                        Do I go with BT Infinity 2 for ?26pcm on an 18 month contract
                        Or
                        Zen for ?30pcm 12 month
                        Vivaciti for ?37 12 month

Oh... hang on, does BT give a static IP?

Edit: no, they don't, only on business accounts and those have a 100GB cap, which isn't enough with the amount of netflix and youtube going on here. Gah.

So Zen or Vivaciti then.
                        Last edited by charlesr; 29-06-2014, 10:53.

Comment

And can anyone explain what I will need with router and stuff? I currently have a Netgear DGN2200v3 ADSL router, so will that still work with FTTC?

edit: seems not.

edit 2: seem you need either a "broadband router" with WAN IN port, or one with an integrated VDSL modem (not many of those around yet).
                          Last edited by charlesr; 30-06-2014, 09:58.

Comment

Gone with Vivaciti in the end. And there are rumours of a modem integrated version of this coming soon, so I've gone with a very cheap stopgap router for now.

Comment

Finally switched from Talktalk after god knows how long. I didn't really realise it, but they slowly increase their prices over time. I was paying ?55 quid a month for unlimited broadband (which is crap) and phone. However we hardly ever use the phone so can't quite figure out their charging.

Also, BT had an excellent sales strategy, basically telling all talktalk customers via mail that Talktalk were about to bump up their prices AGAIN. So now I get the same package from BT, but with BT Sport for ?27. I get ?25 towards broadband costs from work, so I'm only paying ?2 now.

Best bit is, I can now badger BT constantly about the crap speeds in the evening.

Comment

TalkTalk force you to use their search engine on address bar searches and you can't opt out, which stops my work's VPN from working.

I spent HOURS trying to explain this to a seemingly endless parade of morons, desperate to opt out.

After my fourth attempt, I was saying "If I spell "Facebook" wrong, for example, it forces me onto the TalkTalk search engine."

"Well, don't type Facebook wrong." He said...

Comment

Working...
                                X