Budget speakers and amp needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget speakers and amp needed

I want some budget amp and speakers, can anyone recommend one which can support PLII, DD5.1, and DTS and need to handle volume well due to being deaf. I don't need a DVD Player.

Are there any good one for about 250 quids as I don't want to spend too much as I am going to Rome on 9th October.

I personally use the Logitech Z-5500's.

5.1 speakers w/ built-in decoder for DD, DTS and PLII and has inputs for analogue 6 channel, optical, coaxial and line-in.

I have my PC in the Analogue 6-channel, PS2 and 360 in the optical (you can get an optical switcher for ?7), DVD Player in the coaxial and GC in the line-in (for PLII).

?200

Comment

What about this package from peter tyson

Comment

I've got the Logitech Z-5400 which can be had for ?145 online and it fits all your criteria. It's plenty powerful; has a great sub; supports DPLII, DD, and DTS; and has plenty of inputs: three analogue, two optical, one coaxial. It's a bit less powerful than the 5500s but for me the power difference wasn't worth the price difference.

Comment

I just picked up the Sony HTSS1000 from EmpireDirect last week for ?215 and it's fantastic for games. (mostly used for my 360)

2x Optical in, 1x Coax, and 3x RCA inputs. Has a FM/AM tuner built in, auto-calibration mic (I found I got better results using a SPL meter though) and a 2:1 HDMI switcher. (note: it won't decode HDMI audio, just passes it through - you still need to use optical/coax for that)

Not certain about what formats it supports, I know it does the standard DD5.1, DTS, DPLII, DPL.

The speakers and included wires are all tiny:

Hell, the subwoofer is smaller than my stereo speakers, but they sound great for gaming.

Personally I don't like them as much for TV, but my point of reference is a ?1500 stereo setup - there's only so much you can do with satellites this size.

Definitely a lot better than the Logitechs I had a while back. (The Z-680 iirc, I think the new ones are just slightly revised in a nicer enclosure)

Comment

The Sony one sound good due to HDMI Switcher which mean I can use it with Sky HD and Denon 1920. I think I will order it after my holiday. I thought my speaker died but not as red cable is slightly loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendary
              The Sony one sound good due to HDMI Switcher which mean I can use it with Sky HD and Denon 1920. I think I will order it after my holiday. I thought my speaker died but not as red cable is slightly loose.
              That was what sold me on it too - I had been looking at buying a switcher recently - 3:1 was around ?130, and 5:1 was ?150 (would've gone for that as it was only ?20 more) but I only need 2:1 just now. (dvd player and then one for a PS3 if / when I ever get one)

That and the fact that the Sony ones are meant to be quite good for this sort of package meant it was a no brainer at that price.

Comment

Maybe check this
                out.

It's only 200 squids and you even get a free mp3 player to plug into it too.
                If you do get this please let me know what its like cause i'm thinkin of getting one aswell.

Comment

Is there slightly more powerful version with 3 HDMI input switcher just in case as I want it for Sky HD, PS3 and Denon 1920.

Comment

Working...
                  X