Pointless Gamecube question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pointless Gamecube question...

Why, on Pal Gamecube games, do they have different colour triangles on the spine? Does anyone know the significance of these? I was just curious is all...

AFAIK They stand for the country/part of Europe they are meant to be sold/retailed in. Or, it stands for what languages are available in the intruction booklet - one or the other im sure!
    Nintendo DS games also have the coloured trinagles on the spine, and Nintendo has been using them for a long time, since the Gameboy days IIRC - but they only printed the triangle on the instruction booklets then.
    Last edited by Link83; 17-09-2006, 21:46.

Comment

I was flicking through an old copy of NGC magazine (issue 98, Oct 2004) and I noticed this:

Originally posted by NGC
      So Tell Me This...

Question: I was wondering if you could answer a question that has perplexed me for a while. On the spines of Gamecube boxes there are small coloured triangles, and I was curious as to what they meant. The vast majority of my games, regardless of developer, genre or age restrictions, have green triangles on the side. However, my imported Animal Crossing has a brown one and my copies of Beyond Good & Evil and Prince of Persia have pink ones. What makes those two Ubi Soft games so special? It can't apply to all Ubi games as my copy of XIII has a green triangle.
      Paul Davison, Sedgefield

Answer: Nintendo manufactures every game for every PAL territory in a huge factory at the company HQ near Frankfurt. To ensure localised versions of the games go to the correct country, they're marked with colour-coded flashes on the box inserts. Green is for the UK only, purple is for Germany, and presumably brown is for Australia. As for the pink-badged Ubi games, I believe they're intended for both the UK and the Netherlands.

Comment

I though it was so you can avoid them when your in a import shop & they are mixed up on a shelf with the us gamecube games

Comment

You don't even have to look at the flash. The bit where it says "Nintendo Gamecube" is actually at the bottom of the spine on US games (and at the top as you can see on PAL games). Easiest way to spot which is which
          Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
          X