Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK plug or wait for it stepdown question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK plug or wait for it stepdown question!

I'll make this brief, i know about stepdowns, but the only one i use is a low wattage for sp, lite, micro, so i may need a new one...

I'm looking at buying a NTSC (us) ps2, especially for okami, my ps2 days are nearly over as i sold mine and i feel like a hypocrite playing one because of the ****e is released week in week out on it annoys me.

Anyway, yes my question, if i buy a bulky US ps2, can i use one of the standard ps1, saturn e.t.c psu's on it or will i need a stepdown, just the bulky ones seem to sell quite cheap now, Thank you.

(the reason i ask is that i read the 360 can use different PSU's and i wondered if this might have a chance of being the same)

The old-style PS2 has an internal PSU (unlike the 360/ slimline PSTwo which have external PSU's) so you can't just plug in a UK PSU. You'll need to use a step-down I'm afraid. A 100w step-down should do the job.
    Last edited by tom-nook; 26-09-2006, 23:35.

Comment

Thank you Tom, i wasn't sure atall and thought it best to ask. Will look into stepdowns with a ps2 i'm looking at unless someone in the wanted section gets in touch shortly, Thanks again.

Comment

No worries mate.

Not sure about prices but it might be worth considering a slimline PSTwo as you won't even need to replace the PSU to use it in the UK. The slimline PSU is multivoltage (100-240v) so all you'd need to do would be to replace the US power cord with one fitted with a UK plug (if you have a UK PS2 or Xbox the cord from that'll work).

Might not be work out much more expensive than a 'chunky' by the time you've added in the cost of a step-down....

Comment

I currenty have a ps1 and saturn set up, i'm sure that is one of the same leads that worked on my original ps2, i guess that would work then? Its one of them leads (i don't know the name/term) that works tape decks e.t.c it has like two prong connecter(i think!) Thanks again.

Comment

Yeah, that's the same sort of lead. With US slim PSTwo's you get a PSU and also a seperate mains lead that plugs into it. It'd just be a case of replacing the US mains lead with a UK lead from one of your other consoles.

It's a neater solution than using an old-style PS2 & a step-down.....assuming you can pick one up cheaply!

Edit: attached a picture to give you a better idea of what things look like. You'd just need to replace the lead on the left.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by tom-nook; 27-09-2006, 09:07.

Comment

Thank you Tom, i got it, i put my UK lead into the box on the right and away i go! Thank you :-) (well i only got it because you told me )

Comment

Working...
              X