Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wii, DS and BT Total Broadband

Hi

I've just requested an upgrade of my BT Broadband to BT Total Broadband which means they'll be sending my a Hub for wireless connection.

The Hub will be connected to my PC as it is next to the phone point but am I right in thinking that my laptop (which has built in wireless capability) and the Wii (when it comes out) will be on-line without the need to purchase anything else?

Also, I currently use a dongle connected to my PC to play the DS on-line. Will this still be necesary or will the DS speak to the hub instead?

Originally posted by Ork1927
    I've just requested an upgrade of my BT Broadband to BT Total Broadband which means they'll be sending my a Hub for wireless connection.
    What a misleading name BT have chosen for their product. A "hub" won't do wireless - hubs are for wired ethernet connections. The BT Home Hub (tm) is a wireless ADSL router.

The Hub will be connected to my PC as it is next to the phone point but am I right in thinking that my laptop (which has built in wireless capability) and the Wii (when it comes out) will be on-line without the need to purchase anything else?
    Surely so. Your laptop's built in wireless will use the standard 802.11b/g protocols, as surely will this Home Hub (tm). Your only worry might be the wireless security encryption - the DS doesn't do WPA, but hopefully the Home Hub (tm) will allow you to connect using WEP. I know the Wanadoo Livebox does this - it is WPA for clients that supports it, but will fall back to WEP for clients that don't, using the same pass key.

Also, I currently use a dongle connected to my PC to play the DS on-line. Will this still be necesary or will the DS speak to the hub instead?
    See above. Your dongle is likely to be unnecessary.

Stroller.

Comment

Hi

I've just done the same thing, mine should arrive by October 13th. I'm going to be getting very nervous as anything technical goes straight over my head. I was interested in the 8 meg speeds though and it'll actually save me three pounds per month, will the hassle of set up be worth three pounds a month though?

Comment

Working...
      X