Prog Scan on SCPH-5000 PS2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prog Scan on SCPH-5000 PS2

Does anyone know if the new PS2 model supports progressive scan on all games, or does it only apply to DVD playback?. I'm asking 'cause my SCPH-1000 US launch model is about to give up the ghost (taking ages to load and taking a few goes to boot up at all), and don't know if should replace it now or wait for the US release of the SCPH-5000. I deffo want prog scan having been stunned by the 480p image from my Cube and, to a lesser extent, Xbox.

Cheers

The progressive scan update in the 50000 applies only to DVD movies.

Progressive scan in games is dependant on the game itself. (i.e. the developer must program this feature into the game)

So if you want prog scan games you can use any PS2, as long as you have a component cable and a TV that supports Prog Scan.

Comment

Pish. Ah well, thanks for clearing that up Yashiro. Do you know if there is any technical reason why it's not possible to apply progressive to games as well as DVDs? They are after all natively both interlaced NTSC right?

Comment

Due to the way PS2 was designed the DVD driver is separate from the rest of the PS2. You can't 'apply' the new DVD update to games.
        Games must be programmed with Prog Scan support specifically built in. Screen updates are handled by code in the game not by the PS2 itself.

One thing I've just thought of though. To support progressive scan these new PS2's need a larger frame buffer. This may mean you can finally run PAL DVD's on NTSC PS2's. (the restriction was previously frame buffer limitation). Hmm.

Comment

I emailed sony us to ask if the new ps2 (5000) that was being released, would handle pal dvd due to the fact that they were pushing the fact it wuld play home movies on dvd-r. I said I had loads of relatives whose home movies were pal but no region free obviously.

There answer was NO, it will not support Pal dvd playback.

Comment

Working...
          X