VPN Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VPN Service

Does anyone use a VPN Service that you recommend?

I've just started playing Dragon Quest X, which requires a VPN if played outside of Japan or the US. I'm using a free one at the moment, but it's not always the quickest and has some stability issues.

​​​

I've used TunnelBear in the past but a long time ago and with very limited scope, but I know the one you see shilled by content creators all the time is Nord. Appreciate I am telling you something you already know at this point, but I'd imagine gaming in particular has a very specific set of requirements (stability, ping) that are supplemental to the usual comparisons you'd see.

Would be keen to here where you get to, both in terms of VPN discovery but also with regards to DQX! I know importaku has some experience with the latter, but I believe that may be with the offline version only.

Comment

Currently use Private Internet Access, which was cheaper when signed up. Previously used Surfshark. Both pretty similar. I have used it mainly for video streaming but have downloaded the odd large file (few gigs at a time) and this has usually been satisfactory when using torrents but can be throttled if downloading from websites or if there is particular slowdown on certain locations. PIA gives you mbps figures for each location which gives you an idea. I try to use Ireland or UK if possible. The further you go, the slower it gets normally.

I guess you must be playing on PC cos VPNs for consoles is quite complex to set up.
      Last edited by egparadigm; 20-12-2023, 19:50.

Comment

I've used AirVPN for years, found their speeds to be excellent, and works on most platforms (I also use it on public wifi on my phone - never use public wifi without a rubber).

Comment

Thanks guys, had a look around and went with ExpressVPN for a month as they were getting pretty good reviews. Will give the suggestions a go if i need to change it.

fuse Getting DQX playing in English was easier than i thought it would be, i followed the guide here if you're interested in giving it a go https://dqxabbey.com/index.html
          The way it works is impressive, the patch translates any text stored locally, but also uses a API that dynamically translates server side generated text, it's easy to forget your playing a Japanese language MMO at some points. The trial also allows you to play through the main game and the first expansion for free.

Comment

Ive used ultimatevpn for years. Very good. I must have paid for lifetime on a deal way way back because I never pay anything for it. I can have it on 5 devices at a time.

Comment

Working...
            X