Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N64 + Everdrive deblur/AA off patching

Hi All,

I got an Everdrive yesterday (yay!) and am curious to see games with the blurriness reduced/off. However I am having diffficulty getting ED to patch the game files.

I have followed as best I can the instructions page 12.

I have taken the patches from archive.org.

I have followed the 1st method which is to put the ips/aps file in same folder as game and to use the same file name (excluding the extension). So it would be say Mario.z64 and Mario.ips/.aps. I haven’t figured out how to do the second method as none of the files given have a matching number to the particular game I am trying.

If I have just the IPS file in there the game will boot and it flashes red before the first screen comes up. However it doesn’t look any different or less blurry to normal boot, so not sure if it’s done anything.

If I have the APS file in there then annoyingly it comes up with a warning “ERROR 1F: Patcher error. Bad patch file”

I am mainly trying with Resident Evil 2 (U), but get the same response from other games RE APS file. I am out of my depth a little, I don’t even understand what the two filetypes do, i.e. how they differ!

Has anyone got these patches working through ED and if so, can you please help me out? Haven’t a clue what I’m doing really!
    Last edited by egparadigm; 26-01-2024, 11:28.

Just tried the IPS file with DN Zero Hour and can see a difference, so I guess that part is working. Maybe the effect is more subtle for some games?

Would be interested to know what the APS file does snd if anyone can explain the 2nd method and how to use it (would prefer just to have games in the games folder.)

EDIT: put only the APS file in with DN:ZH and now that’s working. So I guess you can only use one at a time?

EDIT 2: Got 3 games working with APS. RE2 always gives the error. Tried another copy of it and this also gives the error with APS.
    Last edited by egparadigm; 26-01-2024, 11:27.

Comment

I’ve done some more research. So what I am fully understanding I think is that the patches are just for removing anti-aliaising, not the decomposition or de-blur per se. The deblur seems only available with either a newer RGB mod or the ultra hdmi. I have an old-style RGB mod that I did about 15+ yrs ago with a little amp inside the scart cable.

Also I learn that the aps and ips seem to do exactly the same thing, so no harm that resi 2 doesn’t work with the aps file.

I am guessing maybe the ffect on resi 2 is very subtle because of the low res and compression on that game from the PS1 version to fit it onto a cart. On a CRT at least I don’t think the removal of AA looks particularly good for this game.

Comment

Working...
      X