Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

N64: Resident Evil 2 NTSC-U — S Rank, possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N64: Resident Evil 2 NTSC-U — S Rank, possible?

Hi all,
    According to IGN, you can get an S Rank in thr N64 version of RE2. This is contrary to all other info I can find online - they are the only source. Most of what you find is about other versions and, when mentioned, criteria are all debunked as a myth. Except that apparently it existed in the Japan version only.

I followed the IGN guide

N64 ONLY

NOTE: For the elite players only-- Complete the game without picking up any ink ribbons, do not pick up any F. aid sprays, do not use any special weapons, complete the scenario in under 2 1/2 hours, and pick up every EX file you happen across. Doing so will earn you the privileged "Rank S"!
    ~ Following are a list of things that must be abide by to ensure a good score. You will notice several different things are factors in what score you earn. What combination of things you choose to do or not do is up to you. However the scenario must be passed without using health sprays, saving, or using special weapons, and all under 2 1/2 hours to get the ultimate score of 300 points!​
    I was having few problems until I reached the labs, at which point I had difficulty picking up the Umbrella Memo, which is on a gurney next to an F Aid Spray. I pressed action next to every possible edge of the gurney and the only option I coild get was to pick up the F Spray. However according to the above criteriayou are not allowed to so much as ‘pick up’ this. Or it could be this was miss worded and you can pick it up, just not use it. Needless to say I completed the game without collecting this last Ex File. I got an A rank, no S, sadly.

I don’t suppose any of you know if an S Rank is possible but if you do it would be great to know!

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post
    Hi all,
    According to IGN, you can get an S Rank in thr N64 version of RE2. This is contrary to all other info I can find online - they are the only source. Most of what you find is about other versions and, when mentioned, criteria are all debunked as a myth. Except that apparently it existed in the Japan version only.

I followed the IGN guide

I was having few problems until I reached the labs, at which point I had difficulty picking up the Umbrella Memo, which is on a gurney next to an F Aid Spray. I pressed action next to every possible edge of the gurney and the only option I coild get was to pick up the F Spray. However according to the above criteriayou are not allowed to so much as ‘pick up’ this. Or it could be this was miss worded and you can pick it up, just not use it. Needless to say I completed the game without collecting this last Ex File. I got an A rank, no S, sadly.

I don’t suppose any of you know if an S Rank is possible but if you do it would be great to know!
    Taking me back to my speed running days here, and I’ve never done the N64 version- but unless anything significant changed in how rankings are calculated it should be fine to pick it up.

Resi rankings are always based on usage. You can pick up what the hell you want and store it away, but if you use it, it’s effects your score.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirov View Post

Taking me back to my speed running days here, and I’ve never done the N64 version- but unless anything significant changed in how rankings are calculated it should be fine to pick it up.

Resi rankings are always based on usage. You can pick up what the hell you want and store it away, but if you use it, it’s effects your score.
      Thanks for taking time to reply. That makes sense.

What I might do is use an action replay to suppress the save count so I can test whether the S rank exists. Don’t fancy attempting again without confirmation as to the criteria!

Comment

Originally posted by egparadigm View Post

Thanks for taking time to reply. That makes sense.

What I might do is use an action replay to suppress the save count so I can test whether the S rank exists. Don’t fancy attempting again without confirmation as to the criteria!
        I’m pretty sure In the original releases of the game, you could not get an S rank in the NTSC/ US version, but you could in the JP version.

But then S ranks would be added to the Pal release, and all later versions of the game regardless of the region- so things like the DualShock edition had S ranks in the NTSC version.

It’s a strange one, as you’d think as the N64 version came last, they would be there, but seeing as it’s a strange port with differences all over the place that was built from the ground up, you have no idea what version it’s based on!

Id, hazard a guess they would be though, as more versions of the game did than didnt, and the fact there’s guides out there for it mentioning collecting all EX files being a requirement, which were N64 exclusive.

Comment

MrKirov Have you seen a non-IGN guide, cos I haven’t? I found a link to another guide that was in plain text, but on closer inspection it was just a copy of the IGN guide.

Interesting to hear the S rank was included in any but the Japan version, as I had not seen that. The IGN criteria are just weird, especially the suggestion that you cannot even pickup typewriter ribbons or sprays. Like you say, that would be different from normal RE requirements and overly harsh.

Comment

For the record, I tried completing the game using action replay codes that met the supposed criteria snd these also came back as A Rank. First attempt was with an existing save file, suppressing the save count and putting the EX Files into Claire’s possession; completion time around 2hrs 10mins. Second attempt was to put all keys into Leon’s magic box (to shorten the game) alongside the EX Files. The latter had a completion time of approx 45 mins. So unless these cheats did not have the same effect as a clean run, it appears the S Rank on this version of the game is a myth.

Comment

The posts here say the highest is A rank in the US version:

For Resident Evil 2 on the PlayStation, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Requirements for A / S ranks?".

Comment

Originally posted by Zaki View Post
                The posts here say the highest is A rank in the US version:

For Resident Evil 2 on the PlayStation, a GameFAQs message board topic titled "Requirements for A / S ranks?".
                Thanks for posting I will have a read.

EDIT: looks like this is about the PSN version. There are some differences with the N64 version, so was looking for confirmation about that specifically.
                Last edited by egparadigm; 13-02-2024, 14:34.

Comment

Working...
                X