Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you buy the Capcom 90s Marvel fighters anywhere these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you buy the Capcom 90s Marvel fighters anywhere these days?

As title, really. With us watching X-Men 97 wanted to fire up one of the 90s Capcom fighters. Is there a collection of them anywhere?

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    As title, really. With us watching X-Men 97 wanted to fire up one of the 90s Capcom fighters. Is there a collection of them anywhere?
    If you didn't purchase Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and/or Marvel vs. Capcom: Origins (Marvel Super Heroes & Marvel vs. Capcom) back when they were last available on PS3 and 360 then emulation is obviously now the best bet. Maybe Fightcade if you quickly wanted to dive straight into competitive online versus play.

I don't think we'll be seeing a compilation of all of the Marvel/Capcom games anytime soon unless Capcom pony up serious money to the House of Mouse.

Arcade1UP recently released the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 coin-op cabinet that has the above games on it plus X-Men: Children Of The Atom, X-Men vs. Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter and the two Marvel platformers that Capcom did for the SNES in the 1990s but that would set you back anywhere between £300 and £600, assuming you want the hassle of setting one up to have in your living room.

Fight alongside your favorite heroes or soldiers with the Marvel VS Capcom and have fun in the family or at the office.
    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 23-03-2024, 12:34.

Comment

Sadly I own Origins but of the 6 titles, the two it contains are (IMO) the least compelling.

I have the demo of MvC2 but obviously can't pay to upgrade it to the full game (I tried, just to be absolutely certain).

Comment

Best bet at this point is probably Final Burn Alpha (or MAME) and having a smooch on The Internet Archive for the relevant data files. Plus it'll have less retrofitted DRM

They were never included in the Capcom Fighting Collection or the Arcade Stadium collections.

Comment

Sadly I own Origins but of the 6 titles, the two it contains are (IMO) the least compelling.
          Couldn't disagree with you more.

Marvel Super Heroes is bags of fun and I'd argue that MvC (although considerably broken) is much more fun than MvC2.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyG View Post
            They were never included in the Capcom Fighting Collection or the Arcade Stadium collections.
            Don't hold your breath waiting for them to be added to Arcade Stadium/Arcade 2nd Stadium anytime soon.

It's unlikely that any licensed stuff Capcom made during the CPS era (Willow, Nemo, the Marvel stuff, Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Alien vs. Predator, etc.) will ever see light of day on a commercial compilation.

Comment

I really hadn't thought about this but yeah, it is kinda bananas that these games aren't readily available and that's unlikely to change. I am covered in this particular instance, but this is a good reminder for if I'm ever on the fence about buying something: if it contains licensed properties, don't hang about.

I'm also an MvC1 enjoyer, mainly as it's played with 6 buttons and has 2D backgrounds.​

Comment

Originally posted by fuse View Post

I'm also an MvC1 enjoyer, mainly as it's played with 6 buttons and has 2D backgrounds.​
                Agreed.

And the fact that 2v2 is just tidier and less chaotic than 3v3 (I know MvC1 has the Guest Character/Special Partner mechanic to introduce a third fighter in your team but that was wisely limited to a few times per fight).

Comment

To be clear, I'm not saying that MSH or MvC are bad games or anything

Just I never really got into these games as proper fighters; I just used to enjoy playing them for a daft laugh; and due to the titles to which I had most access at the time, I have a lot more fondness for the 4 I listed, and less for MSH and MvC.

I'm a wrong'un with all this anyway because my favourite of the entire bunch is the one I've heard many suggest is the worst; I had the PS1 version of Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter and yes, objectively, it's a bad conversion too... But I got it in one of those situations as a skint kid and received it as a gift, and was determined to get something out of it. Consequently I must've rinsed it a hundred times and look upon it with some fondness.

Comment

To be clear, I'm not saying that MSH or MvC are bad games or anything

Just I never really got into these games as proper fighters; I just used to enjoy playing them for a daft laugh; and due to the titles to which I had most access at the time, I have a lot more fondness for the 4 I listed, and less for MSH and MvC.
                    One: I never said that you said that they were bad games. I'm just saying that you're wrong. MSH & MvC are every bit as compelling as the other Marvel/Capcom fighters, and I'm standing by that. But if the others are more to your liking then that is obviously fine.

I'm a wrong'un with all this anyway because my favourite of the entire bunch is the one I've heard many suggest is the worst; I had the PS1 version of Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter and yes, objectively, it's a bad conversion too... But I got it in one of those situations as a skint kid and received it as a gift, and was determined to get something out of it. Consequently I must've rinsed it a hundred times and look upon it with some fondness.
                    Two: ​​​​​​Peak Asura behaviour right here.

Comment

MiSTer is the correct answer (weren't you meant to have one by now?).

One 'n done. I've not had to worry about ROMs or emulation or "which is the best way to play?" practically anything for three full years now. It's saved me hours/days of ****ing about; time which has been spent gaming instead.

Comment

That Konami X-Men side-scrolling beat 'em up was on PS3 and 360, but got pulled from the market in 2013.
                        There's the 1-Up cab, but that's silly money, IMHO.
                        You could scratch that itch online, if you mooched.

As for the 2D fighters, you're looking at £20 to £50 for MvC2 on PS2, which is the one I have.

Personally, I still really like MSH as it's just Marvel characters.
                        The Vs Capcoms are great, but it's a bit weird having Hulk beaten up by a cactus or Doctor Doom floored by Frank West.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                          Two: ​​​​​​Peak Asura behaviour right here.
                          It didn't even have proper tag team gameplay. Honestly it was a terrible port. But when you're a kid, you make do.

Comment

I think I'd rather spend six months locked in a jail cell with John Mongrel than buy one of those 1-up cabs.

"Let's take all the worst bits concerning emulation and stuff them into a cheap, licensed cab. The numpties won't even notice anyway."

Comment

I think those 1-up cabs are great, to be honest, dD.

I totally get that it's neither the cheapest or best way to play retro arcade games, but it's definitely the most accessible and legal way to play the games.

If you're fine with emulation, there are definitely other ways to play, but you're not getting a cab.

Comment

Working...
                              X