Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with the Wifi Max.. advice please

Hi there,

I have been trying to set this thing up for my DS for the past, errrr, 6 hours?!! And it just wont work :S

At first, it just screwed my whole internet connection up and I had to restore my system a couple of times over before figuring out there was something wrong with it. It was the drivers that came in the CD, so I had to look for updated drivers untill I found them at www.codejunkies.com
    Then, it was better but it just wouldnt connect to my computer let alone DS. Then I learned that I had to basically put all the numbers in the property page of it in order for it to recognise my pc. That too was solved and I have entered all the numbers required. Great, but wait a second.. the bloody thing is still not connecting to the DS. And I was getting this error msg that there was a conflict in my pc and two things were using the same ip number at the same time which would cause one of them to not function properly. I was baffled by then as I couldnt find any explanation to it everywhere I looked. I got through that too by sheer luck as I was fiddling about with it, and I honestly wouldnt know how to solve it again.

And it just kept going from there, from one problem to another. You could imagine how many wee problems like these would consume a quarter of a day to fix.

Im now back in square one, still baffled by this damn adaptor and I just refuse to give in. Please help me get online with my DS... I have almost checked evrey single search result for "wifimax ds datel problem".

Everything seems to be working fine now, I get Excellent signal and "Connected" from the wireless device. But it still refuses to connect to the DS, I dont know why.

Now I have took a screecap of every setting and everything I thought was relevant to this case, please do take a look at them and advice me as to what to do next.

Can somebody help plz?

Oh, forgot to add: The error Im getting is a 52000 "Unable to obtain an IP address. Move within range of the access point or check DHCP setting".

Comment

i think you need to assign yourm ds a specific ip address in the range 192.168.0.x rather than using dhcp

good thread here

Last edited by bootmonster; 27-10-2006, 14:14.

Comment

Hi,

Well done on documenting your configuration so well.

I think the line "Home networking connection" indicates that you're sharing this connection (which is your internet pipe) with the Local Area Connection - not with the Wireless Network Connection. In another screenshot you the Local Area Connection (so named without the 5) is shown with a red cross next to it, "network cable unplugged". If you click on the "settings" button on the dialogue box shown above is there a drop-down in which to choose the wireless connection? (or to choose more than one connection)

This actually disagrees with the `ipconfig` screenshot you posted. Tut, tut! Posting details of two different configurations when asking for support!!

Have you changed these manually - I think they should have been set automagically when you enabled internet connection sharing. These look odd to me, but I don't want to tell you to change anything if that is the way the Internet Sharing Wizard has set the connection up.

Originally posted by Sogeking
        Oh, forgot to add: The error Im getting is a 52000 "Unable to obtain an IP address. Move within range of the access point or check DHCP setting".
        I take it this message is on the DS? DHCP is a way for devices (in this case the DS) to obtain an IP address from a server (in this case your PC). The problem may just be because the Binatone USB / "LAN Connection 5" isn't sharing with the correct interface, as I explained in my first paragraph, but if this isn't working go into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and check that DHCP server is running (and also starts on boot up); it should be bound to the Wireless Network Connection if there's an option for that.

For anyone else who might be thinking of buying one of these adaptors, you might be better off buying one of these $5 wireless access-points. The previous version didn't work with the DS - at least, not without using the DS browser to connect first - but I think the current one does; before ordering check the forums at the Fon site to be sure.

Stroller.
        Last edited by Strolls; 28-10-2006, 05:23.

Comment

Thanks alot for your detailed replay Stroll, really apreciate it!

Unfortunately though I didnt get to read your replay and got fed up, returned it and got the Official USB adaptor from Nintendo and it works prefectly... I had to uninstall my BitDefender in order for it to work though..

I would advice anyone interested in linking their DS or future Wii (maybe?) to steer clear from the WifiMax device, in theory it sounds great and all but in practice its full of problems and would be a pain in the arse to get it to work.

Thanks again Strolls for your time, I really, really appreciate it. And happy Halloween!

Comment

Working...
          X