X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is MAME

im new to the arcade side of things,so could anyone tell me what MAME is
    Thanks

I think mame (multiple arcade machine emulator) is an arcade emulator, that allows to play all the old school arcade games, although ive never dabbled in it myself and there are 3700ish roms (games)u can (prolly ilegaly) download

www.mame.dk is a good place to go

ps u may want to register yourself on that site too

get yourself mame32 as this is the easiest way to play the roms

then prepare to get adicted to playing MAME

Comment

What fragmast3r said..

MAME is a program that emulates loads of arcade systems from the 70s to the 00's, from old Vector games to Capcom CPS to Neo Geo.

You can get 2 versions, which is quite confusing for newbies. They are both for Windows, but one doesn't have a GUI and you need to run it via command line or a 3rd party interface, or much much easier is MAME32 which has it's own interface. You can get Mame32 from http://www.classicgaming.com/mame32qa

Then all you need are the files (or ROM images) for the games you want to play.

As already said, www.mame.dk is the best resource, along with www.mame.net which is the official site.

Oh and dont forget to register at Mame DK

Comment

thanks for that always wondered what that was

Comment

Isn't it great trev. Now you can play Metal Slug on your PC now, and you don't even have to fork out for an AES or something stupidly expensive.

Although the whole scene is totally illigal, and the reson for it being shut down before. So: naughty boy.

Comment

If you have an intrest in arcade gaming Mame is "heaven on earth"

esp with a playstation Namco arcade stick and TV-out graphics/audio-out cards.

In fact arcade emulation was the main reason I got a PC - three years back.

Comment

Arcade games are the kind of thing that are still fun through emulation as well. Alot of old console stuff can be too demanding for you to sit and play them properly. For arcade games it's perfectly natural that you'd have a large selection to distract you so they engage right away or not at all.

Comment

Probably get flamed for the following which is possibly too sacreligeous

NEO GEO Games are better through MAME, (on a decent PC), than on the original machine, (even the arcade). This is because there is no slowdown which the originals suffered from. (No doubt the purist Mame developers will add the slowdown for authenticity at some point).

Ditto PC Engine stuff running through Magic Engine - a brilliant emulator that manages to get rid of all the spite overlap problems a real machine has, (try comparing R-Type or especially R-Type complete CD)
                Not that I'd ever ditch my duo and collection of classics though!

Eddie.

emulation kicks proverbial ass

Comment

that sig is ****ing ridiculous. sort it please.

Comment

PICS IN SIGS

edit: Was a pic in sig see but i cba with it or summit.. FU i dont need to explain ma self!

Self-explanatory? Here are stories and facts about my vagina, plus a zine, reviews, take-home activities... ?>.

Comment

Originally posted by replicant
                      Not to worry Rep, it's being sorted by the Mods in a non-confrontational way ( may be a good idea to add that phrase to your vocabulary ), put some faith in us eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi Biscuit
                        Not to worry Rep, it's being sorted by the Mods in a non-confrontational way ( may be a good idea to add that phrase to your vocabulary ), put some faith in us eh?
                        Good to hear its getting sorted! Only was posted 2 weeks ago Still, better than Railtrack!!

Comment

It was posted 2 weeks ago, but he didn't have that sig back then (I remeber reading the topic). He's changed it recently.

Comment

I thought that would be the case, as I don't think the mods are slow to react.

They are definately quicker than Railtrack

Comment

Reps occupation 'moaning' yeah you got that right

ive removed the sig happy now????

Comment

Working...
                              X