Is my Saturn shagged?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my Saturn shagged?

For some strange reason I can only display in RGB when I plug the Saturn through my DVD player. When I plug directly into the TV I get a garbled side-scrolling-shimmering view of the action with bits everywhere. This is pissing me off greatly because I can't plug it directly into my 28" which has the best picture quality of any TV I've ever seen, ever. Also, my grandad has borrowed my DVD player so I'm totally knackered.

Every other console works fine in RGB - N64, GC, DC, PS2, Neo, etc etc..

What's the crack? Is it my Saturn or the cable? I can't explain why it only works through the DVD player. It must be the cable, but when I bought it off Ebay the guy said it was a Scart RGB cable.

Help!

It could be the fact that the DVD player is putting its own signals to Pins 8 and 16.

Open up the SCART lead for the saturn (normally screw off holder and prise apart the SCART end) and look at Pin 16, there is probably a Resistor here, twist the legs together (to effectively get 0 Ohmns) and you should find it will now work. For neatness you could remove the Resistor completely. If pins 8 and 16 are connected then twist the resistor or let me know.

The Saturn has a piddly voltage going via Pin 16 and some TVs treat this like there is no RGB going to it...

Comment

Cheers for the advice mate.

I'm leaving work right this minute so I'll try it out as soon as I get in, after I've eaten my KFC of course.

Here's hoping to 28" Xmen Vs. Street Fighter!!

Comment

Ok,

My cable doesn't have any resistors, just a series of coloured cables connected to individual pins. There's a yellow one going to pin 16.

However, on my mates cable there is an insulated wire connecting pins 8 and 16. But I can't see any resistors on either of the scarts.

Weird stuff.

Comment

wasnt there 2 rgb scart cables for the saturn ????

one for pal and one for ntsc.

sounds like the sync is missing from the signal, can you get composite on another socket ???

Comment

Things to do...

1) Make sure you have selected RGB mode on the TV. (press the AV button a few times, don't just assume it will autoselect...)

2) Make sure that the output from the DVD player is RGB, as Pin 20 also carries Composite Video.

3) Make sure that the RGB lead is plugged firmly into the TV.

4) Try the Saturn / Lead on another TV to see if it works.

Comment

Working...
            X