Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upscaling DVD player vs. XBMC vs. 360

what's better?

i'm getting a bit sick of xbmc as it's really dodgy when playing back dvds - from very laggy remote operation to non-compatibility with certain films, and problems when rewinding and skipping - just a general rubbishness compared with the actual xbox dash (which doesn't upscale of course). i'm running v1.0. i had v2.0 but didn't notice anything different so just stayed with 1.0.

although having said that, xbmc does upscale, and i can play all region dvds, and it does a fine job of playing pal dvds in 60hz.

as for the 360, mine is being replaced by MS at the moment (they're taking their sweet time with it aswell ), and i know it upscales dvds when played over vga (dunno about component but i don't use it anyway so not fussed) but is it just the 360's scaler resizing it or does it actually perform some magic on the picture?

as for an upscaling dvd player, are there any cheap ones that are half-decent, preferably multi-region (i don't really mind though as i only have a few r1 dvds and can just use xbmc for them), and with vga or hdmi output? also, how well do they handle pal dvds - do they upscale them AND adjust the frame rate properly?

i've been looking at the oppo ones which seem quite nice...
    Last edited by randombs; 12-11-2006, 15:03.

Aldi do one for ?40, comes with a HDMI lead and upscales DVD to a max of 1080i. It also plays Divx, xvid etc. Reads memory cards, region free hack via remote, and if you're good at soldering, you can attach a USB2 port for playback from a hard drive. Really good picture quality as well.Best ?40 I've spent. More info and pics...
    http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/productnl_362.html
    Last edited by bignige; 12-11-2006, 15:12.

Comment

checking it out at the moment. usb2 port sounds fantastic.

what's it like for divx/xvid playback? does it handle HR (960x540) vids ok? i'm assuming it's not powerful enough for 720p divx/xvid anyway so not worried about that, but if it at least manages what my xbox can then it'll be great

Comment

Divx/xvid playback is really good, but as you point out, it'll only do standard def. This seems to be the only drawback, but, considering it comes with a HDMI lead which usually cost ?20+ it really is a great bargain. I'm about to solder mine, the USB port sits above the VGA and is very tight - probably couldn't use both together. The other option (Probably use this) is to drill a round hole and have the USB cable sticking out the back.

Comment

reading the posts on that forum. pretty difficult to grasp just what it's like as the people on there appear to be comparing it with regular dvd players, whereas i've got my xbox which already upscales in software but i don't like the slight blur i get with component

Comment

Do you not have a HDMI slot on your TV?

Comment

yup

Comment

I don't think the 360 upscales DVDs properly over Component (unless you mean the original 'box). It's VGA only afaik.

Comment

yeah 360 over vga, i was referring to my xbox

Comment

Working...
                  X