Foreign PS1, foreign TV question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foreign PS1, foreign TV question

Friend of mine in the US has a US playstation, but she can play foreign games on it okay. So far she's only considered getting Jap items, but may want to get some PAL games in future. What should she consider, know or find out about her TV to make sure PAL games play okay before going down this route? I should know myself, but not 100% certain before I tell her anything, hence my Q here. Currently she's using composite to connect console to TV...
    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Most PS1 revisions wont display a PAL signal (or boot PAL games)

Comment

So the "region free boot disc" she has for it won't allow her to play PAL games?

Or more precisely, US PS1s won't touch PAL with a bargepole?

If that's the case, she would need an actual PAL PS1 to play PAL games on? So why can PAL PS1s play NTSC games when chipped then?

Excuse the Qs, PS1 is not my field

Comment

From what I've seen with NTSC machines in the past, the machine simply does not boot any PAL software. The UK machine will switch to NTSC for NTSC software, but the NTSC machines I used to mod would not do the same for PAL software and fail to boot. Not sure if it was down to the modchip code, maybe the boot disk operates differently.

Comment

Wouldn't there be problems with the friend's TV system, anyhow?

Most PAL televisions these days will accept an NTSC signal, but I doubt the same can be said of the reverse.

Mayhem, even if a boot disc or mod worked, would your friends television be able to accept an 50hz signal?

Comment

Exactly.. this is about as much as I've told her so far... to check to see what the specs are on her TV, because the 50Hz issue sprung to mind immediately. It is still important if even she went to get a PAL PS1 to play stuff on...

Comment

Thats wrong.I have four versions of the Us psx and they all play and output PAL games,so does my NTSC J machines.However,when they removed the parralel port on the machines(the bit where the gamekeys and stuff go,cheat carts etc...)they revised the hardware not to output pal.This was not done on all revisions though and the Psne's will out put pal games.As long as she plays the system in rgb scart,she willl not have any problems getting the pal games to display.

Comment

Something that is of intrest just as saurian says,is that some mod chips will not allow pal games to be played because they keep forcing the machine into 60 hz on certain ntsc models,but this is only true of certain mod chips and not them all.All boot disks should work and things like the PS key for the parrallel port are guarenteed to work.

Comment

American Tv's don't have RGB, they use component. Does that bypass all region coding like RGB does?

Comment

Component is just a variation on rgb and yes it will work,and before everyone starts going on about the differences of component and rgb,I know about them.It is still very very similar to gb.

I have an old american tv from when i stayed there and it has Rgb,you do have to switch it on in the tv's options though.

Comment

Working...
                    X