Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Should I Import a Wii?

Hello all, im new here

I havent been keeping up with the Wii so much but i was wondering why i should import a Wii rather than just buy a PAL one from my own country?

When the Gamecube first came out i bought a Japanese one (I paid a hefty amount too just so i could get it early i remember!)

Anyway the reason i bought a Jap one ( i had it modded to play US games) was because of two reasons -

1, US and Jap games i knew would released much earlier the UK games
    2, The speed difference, i wanted 60Hz on every game all the time, OK so most UK games have the option but not all - for example i think Luigi's Mansion doesnt

So basically my question is this - Are points one and two above going to relevent to the Wii?

I would really appreciate any insight!

Thanks, Ric

Do you trust Nintendo UK to get the releases and release dates right this time? If so, go for it. Frankly I don't, and when the US/JPN RRP is ~?128, it still works out cheaper to buy an import machine even after customs/shipping.

We can assume all first party games will be 60Hz as standard. Third party? Who knows.

Why by a PAL Wii?

Comment

I would have thought that point 2 probably won't apply this time around. Don't know that for sure of course but I'd hope that 60Hz options will be standard.

Other than those points there is the availability issue. It seems bad all round right now but, if you haven't preordered one locally, you could have a harder time getting one here than a US or JP model. Same with peripherals. Until launch, nobody will know for certain but I'd take it as a very bad sign that component cables were redirected to the US and it's common knowledge that Nintendo hates Europe. Like, really despises us for some reason. It's like we slept with Nintendo's wife and got her up the pole or something.

Comment

I think the 60Hz option maybe built into the console just like the 360. The first sign of trouble however, and ill be getting myself a US Wii asap.

Comment

Unless the NTSC machine fails to offer RGB output, I can't think of a single good reason to own a PAL Wii. The NTSC Wii is cheaper, apparently connects to its respective overseas server no problem, will be guaranteed 60hz, and will enjoy prompt software release dates.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang
            I would have thought that point 2 probably won't apply this time around. Don't know that for sure of course but I'd hope that 60Hz options will be standard.

Other than those points there is the availability issue. It seems bad all round right now but, if you haven't preordered one locally, you could have a harder time getting one here than a US or JP model. Same with peripherals. Until launch, nobody will know for certain but I'd take it as a very bad sign that component cables were redirected to the US and it's common knowledge that Nintendo hates Europe. Like, really despises us for some reason. It's like we slept with Nintendo's wife and got her up the pole or something.
            what... up mario's flag pole?

Comment

The Wii is as good a chance for Nintendo to get it right as they could get, i.e. 60Hz built in, prog scan enabled etc., so you might get lucky with a PAL Wii.

However, if the Euro release schedule is anything like it was on the Cube and N64, then that's as good a reason as any to get a US Wii. However, the US Wii might not do RGB via scart and only via component.

Comment

Well this isnt def the 100% truth but according to this site: http://www.meanmachinesmag.co.uk/wii...nsole-list.php

UK only gets 6 virtual console games, USA got about 8-10 i think and it has 16 now.

So going by regular Nintendo, you'll be shafted for getting a PAL wii at some point.

Comment

A better question would be 'why should I buy a PAL wii?'. The answer would be 'you shouldn't, Nintendo Europe will be as lame as ever and you'll get screwed over on release dates and pricing'.

Plus the US virtual console is bound to be a lot better. Granted the JP VC will likely be better still, but with region locking unfortunately in place a US system represents the best balance.

Comment

It's worth noting that UK DS games are at this very moment still getting pretty crappy delays.

Europe has never been a priority for Nintendo, and I can't say I really blame them. We're an absolutely tiny portion of their demographic. They've got bigger fish to fry, frankly.

Comment

This is just the start. We've been here before.

Comment

Originally posted by Kotatsu Neko
                        A better question would be 'why should I buy a PAL wii?'. The answer would be 'you shouldn't, Nintendo Europe will be as lame as ever and you'll get screwed over on release dates and pricing'.

Plus the US virtual console is bound to be a lot better. Granted the JP VC will likely be better still, but with region locking unfortunately in place a US system represents the best balance.
                        Quoted for truth.

If the only choice i had for playing a wii was a uk one then i wouldnt ever play one. Simple as that, i hate nintendo uk with a passion.

The main reason i bought a jpn wii is i know some amazing games will only stay in japan. Just like what happened on the gamecube, the language barrier isnt a problem so thats why i didnt get a us one.

Comment

I'm going for a US Wii. At first I wanted to make sure that i'd have no problems getting online with one. Now that I know it won't be a problem, i'm pretty sure i'll be going for US.

The one thing I do want to clarify however, is, will there be any disadvantages of having to connect to a US server rather than a UK/Euro server? For example, will it be slower due to the distance? Will I only be able to play online with the yanks (or other import Wii owners)? If this won't be a problem, then i'll be going for a US Wii without a doubt.

Comment

Had absolutely no problems connecting to the US servers as far as the VC goes, and why would you? - you connect to US websites all the time right? Same thing. It's not noticably slower.

As far as online games go, no-one really knows what Nintendo are going to do, other than it'll be a bit like the DS.

Comment

Does anyone know as yet if the US or Jap Wii's have RGB in them?

I'm gonna be fooked if they don't as I really have my heart set on getting a US Wii with maybe a UK RGB Wii SCART cable...

Comment

Working...
                              X