Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to connect a PS2 to a TV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best way to connect a PS2 to a TV?

Hi everyone,

RGB seems to produce the best picture when used in connecting PS2 to TV, but it has "green" picture problem when playing DVDs.

I heard that S-VIDEO doesn't have this problem, but my TV has a S-VIDEO connector combined with SCART, so there is no way I can connect the PS2 straight into the TV with S-VIDEO cable.

Please advise me what to do.

Thanks

RGB is superior to all else, as you rightly surmise. Buy a Blaze RGB SCART cable: it has a switch to flick between RGB and composite (so no green screen on DVDs) and is great VFM.

If you really have to get S-vid (no reason why you should, though), you can connect through your TV's SCART socket (providing it definitely *will* take an S-video signal) by using a little convertor you can get from places like maplins. If this is the method you decide on, I'll dig up a link for you, although there's no reason why you shouldn't opt for the Blaze RGB, as it's the best idea all-round.

Comment

The PS2 DVD Region X disc also overcomes the DVD green playback problem. Not ideal having to load the Region X first, but better than watching DVDs in composite.

You shouldn't settle for anything less than RGB

Comment

do you know anybody that can solder as you could as them to do the rgb fix on your ps2 ?

Comment

This is the best cable for Ps2

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bash
              It may well be the best cable but his options are either RGb scart or s-video via a scart adaptor.
              Like Trebel says the Blaze RGB cable is the best option especially if you use your ps2 for dvd film playback.
              Remember scart inputs either suport s-video/composite or RGB/composite not RGB/s-video, so if one of his inputs is s-video compatible a scart adaptor is easily bought from Maplin.
              Downgrading from RGB to s-video is not rearlly an option though IMO
              The burning question though is WHY have sony disabled RGB compatability with dvd film playback ???? answers on a postcard to

Comment

I think it was taken out to stop pirates making dvd copys as you already have the digi sound output. Seems a bit pointless

Comment

i thought it was because sony couldn't implement macrovision copy protection in to the ps2 ?

Comment

Agreed, I believe it was due to the fact they could not implement macrovision on the RGB output on time for launch.

Comment

Just got a set of official S0ny component leads from the online store, very nice they are too, sharper picture than rgb. ?15.49

Spoony.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Stu
                        Agreed, I believe it was due to the fact they could not implement macrovision on the RGB output on time for launch.
                        Not quite. It's because Sony didn't want to pay for the macrovision implementation (license fee).

Comment

Originally posted by Spoonman2
                          Just got a set of official S0ny component leads from the online store, very nice they are too, sharper picture than rgb. ?15.49

Spoony.
                          Very nice but in my local MVC they sell Component cables for the ps2 made by Joytec which offer the exact same quality as the official ones for ?4.99

Comment

Working...
                          X