Hard drive upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard drive upgrade

Are there any tutorials on how to do it? Specifically what sort of drive I need to pick up (I wanna make sure the specs are at least as good as the bundled one).

There was something about it on Gamespot, although I think they stopped short of going ahead with it inorder to review the launch games.

Comment

Having looked into it a bit more, looks like any SATA laptop drive is fine, but they recommend 5400rpm, as anything higher will boost heat in the unit.

Anyone plan on upgrading? After seeing linux in action over at gamevideos.com, I'd love to give that a blast...bit hard with just a 20gig drive, like.

Comment

? 20GB is by far enough to give linux a whirl

Comment

Assuming games are saved to HDD, is the only way to transfer game saves to another HDD by copying them to memory stick?

Can you use something like a USB memory stick or USB HDD on 20GB machines for this purpose? (Given the memory stick port adaptor ain't out yet is it?)

Comment

can't you use a 3rd party USB->memory stick adaptor?

Comment

Originally posted by kernow
              ? 20GB is by far enough to give linux a whirl
              I don't think so, as apparently you can only partition into 10 gig chunks - doesn't leave much for PS3 trailers, demos, game installs, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggler
                Anyone plan on upgrading?
                If the photo management ends up being OK I might use it to back up my photos and music, movies too if a movie manager becomes available. 500GB will do nicely, should be under a hundred quid pretty soon.

Can't you plug in an external drive as well?

Comment

Originally posted by womblingfree
                  If the photo management ends up being OK I might use it to back up my photos and music, movies too if a movie manager becomes available. 500GB will do nicely, should be under a hundred quid pretty soon.
                  You won't get a 500gb laptop HDD.

Comment

It's shown in the manual, there's also pics on the web somewhere. It's very easy to do, you'll need a small screwdriver for the screws holding the drive to the tray.

The biggest laptop drive at the moment is 160GB.

Comment

Here's an online guide:
                      The latest gaming news and reviews covering all aspects of the game industry such as xbox, playstation, gamecube, pc, xbox360, and more

Yep, 160GB is the upper limit for 2.5 SATA HDDs right now.

Comment

Originally posted by katamari
                        Here's an online guide:
                        The latest gaming news and reviews covering all aspects of the game industry such as xbox, playstation, gamecube, pc, xbox360, and more

Yep, 160GB is the upper limit for 2.5 SATA HDDs right now.
                        MacBook Pro's go up to 200GB, are they using a different kind of drive?

Comment

A quick google search reveals that Fujitsu announced a 200GB drive back in March, so they do indeed go up to 200GB now

Comment

I stand corrected...and I'll be off to the shops for a 200GB drive then.

Comment

Working...
                            X