Personal import limit from US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personal import limit from US

I'm off on holiday tomorrow to Orlando so I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what amount of shopping I'm allowed to bring back. The HMCE website appears to say it's only ?145, is that right?

To be honest with you it's very rare they check unless you're clearly bringing back loads of stuff. I went to the US a while ago and came back with a GBA and several games for my PS2 and since it all fitted inside my suit case there was no mention of it, although that was before 9/11 so they might be more strict on checking bags now, but I'm sure as long as it doesn't look as if you bringing back loads to sell they won't do much.

Comment

I've never been stopped or checked at Customs

Even when coming back from my last trip I was packing:

2 Wavebirds
      Broadband adapter GC
      3 GC games
      2 GBA games

and assorted other non-gaming items...
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

If you're planning on buying loads of stuff over there why not just post it to your home address just before you come back, save lugging it all around.

Don't forget to mark it as a 'gift' with a low value so you don't get stuffed by customs though.

Comment

I came back from New York 1 week+ ago with about $600 worth of stuff, no problem. Me and my friends were having a good laugh at the big line of people waiting to pay extra money for what they'd already bought, what a lovely coming home present

If you DO get searched, remember to have removed the shrink wrap from anything. That way you can tell them you already owned it and took it with you.

Comment

If you buy anything new just open it. In the case of a console take it out of the box and flatpack the box in someone elses suitcase. Also keep your receipts separate. That way if you are checked then you can say he took them with you. No proof otherwise.

Comment

I've yet to see anyone in customs to even speak to the last few times I've come back - felt decidedly silly for not buying more.

Fortunately the same was the case when I had a suitcase full of laserdiscs a few years back, too. Although I'd paid a pittance for them in any case, as DVD was around and everyone was being silly enough to ditch their Criterion box set of SE7EN, Criterion Spinal Tap, CAV Aladdin etc.

Comment

Likewise... I remove all wrapping and price stickers where possible from any items I'm bringing back just in case...
                Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by mid
                  Fortunately the same was the case when I had a suitcase full of laserdiscs a few years back, too. Although I'd paid a pittance for them in any case, as DVD was around and everyone was being silly enough to ditch their Criterion box set of SE7EN, Criterion Spinal Tap, CAV Aladdin etc.
                  Ah, I'm kicking myself for not getting a LaserDisc player, but I was too young to know what they were, and never considered anything better than VHS

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys

Comment

Working...
                    X