3-way HDMI Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3-way HDMI Switch

With the recent news of the HDMI 360, I've decided I need a HDMI switcher to switch between PS3, Oppo and 360.

Most of them seem to be a monstrous price mind. I do not need fancy stuff like automatic switching or remote control, it just has to switch with no quality loss.

Needs to be compatible with HDCP. Ideally 1080p too, but not essential if it doubles the cost or something.

I don't mind paying extra to ensure lossless picture, but some people are happy to pay silly money for these things...

I got this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-Port-HDMI-Sw...QQcmdZViewItem

Only got one HDMI lead, so waiting on postman bringing me another lol.
    I'll let you know how it is when i've given it a good testing.

Comment

I've had one of these since June: http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20swit...rt_toslink.htm

Expensive yes, but it has performed flawlessly, and solved my optical problem at the same time. A remote is nice, because sometimes HDMI things (like my media center PC) send all sorts of crazy signals when in standby/recording TV.

Comment

Ok, i've had a day or so now with this.
        So far everything seems great, no noticable loss in picture quality when i have my PS3 plugged in to my Panny 42 Viera with the switcher in the loop.
        I'm running a 5m HDMI to the TV from the switcher, and a 2m from PS3.

Seems good value/quality for the price, switches etc don't feel like they will pop off lol
        PS it's not powered, so no need for an other PSU.

Comment

Sounds good, may have to give it a shot if you say no quality loss

Comment

Some might like to know, I got one of these manual switchers today.

Works fine switching between my PS3 and Oppo, including Blu-Ray movies. Manual too so no plug.

Comment

On a similar note (sorry to mini-hijack) what are the options on Component switchers ? I know of the Farmer box for Play-Asia, i remember reading somewhere about another one that's sold by a UK shop and is supposedly better ?

I guess i could always upgrade the 360 to HDMI hence wouldn't need the switch box :S

Comment

I can recommend the farmer box, been using it since I got my tv and never had any problems with interference and such.

Comment

Whereas I found it to be lossy I actually use a cheap £10 passive Composite/Audio switch box and found it to be lossless to my eyes. I've had worse luck with the Component-dedicated ones.

I do wonder how good this is mind... http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/XCM-CV2.html

PS2/3, 360 and Wii.

Comment

I really liked the look of this one

until I clocked the postage cost

Comment

Nice if you really need remote control.

The one I posted was pefect for me because since it didn't use a remote control, it didn't need a plug - I have none to spare!

Comment

I just bought a 4-way switch box off ebay which arrived today. Will get it hooked up tonight.

But while looking at HDMI cables just now at my local retail park, I nipped into PC World and clocked a really nice alternaitive; an HDMI cable, regular at one end with two female inputs at the other, which auto-switches depending where the signal is coming from. Really neat I thought, and a lot tidier than a box under the TV. Only downsides are it's only got 2 inputs and it's £99.99. However, had I seen it this time last week I'd have definitely bought it over a box.

Comment

* Double post - please delete *
                          Last edited by Atticus; 02-04-2007, 13:28.

Comment

Bumped, as message added earlier didn't register properly / move to the top of the page.

Comment

Working...
                            X