Advice on buying an iPod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 112
    When you say a small fortune for a replacementbattery how much we talkin here? i mean 2 years is not very long! especially if yah on the go all the time, yah battery will be dead in no time!

Small fortune as in you actually need to buy a new IPod I believe, replacement batteries aren't available any other way AFAIK.

Comment

Originally posted by Garibaldi Biscuit
      Originally posted by 112
      When you say a small fortune for a replacementbattery how much we talkin here? i mean 2 years is not very long! especially if yah on the go all the time, yah battery will be dead in no time!

Small fortune as in you actually need to buy a new IPod I believe, replacement batteries aren't available any other way AFAIK.
      Send your iPod off to Apple to "repair" and they will charge around ?100-?150. The trouble with the battery is basically because there are no screw holes (or any access points at all) to the iPod it is probably extremely difficult to get into the iPod by any means other than wedging a screwdriver into the side of it, thus scratching it to **** and possibly hitting something inside you shouldn't.
      Apple really don't like you tinkering with the insides of your hardware...

Comment

Bloody hell! thats a blatant rip off! I think ill wait for a replacement battery version. Not in a rush too much as an Md is more affordable and just as good interms of quality in sound. Thanksgoodness for MDLP2 phew.........

Comment

Ok to you guys that have an ipod or anybody that knows the following....

I have a bog standard PC running on Windows XP so do i need to buy anything additional for the ipod to work? Im looking at the new 15gb version from john lewis at the mo and am just gathering my funds together so i can buy it with the 10% off.

I have 2 USB ports at the back of my computer which was bought last summer and both are used by my mouse and broadband adaptor gadget thing.

Do i need to buy anything else that doesnt come with the iPod itself for it to function with my setup?

Mike.

Comment

Apple do take the piss when it comes to replacing the battery charging about ?150... However you can replace the battery for about ?50 and opening the Ipod up isn't as hard as people make out.

Worth looking out for the older models, I bought my gf a second hand 5GB Ipod for ?100, bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by CFS Dubois
              John Lewis have the 15GB iPod in stock for ?299.99 but you can use
              this to get 10% off.
              You've only got till midnight on the 17th July before the coupon is out of date though.

I got my 30GB iPod (for ?360 with 10% off of course ) from them a few weeks ago and I think its bloody lovely!
              Im not getting any joy with the 10% discount. I seemed to have tracked down why though. The link you have provided is the link you had to use. If this doesnt make sense ill copy the link you posted here

http://tracker.tradedoubler.com/pan/...50DFB091996CC] to get 10% off.

Basically the url above is invalid because you have already used the gift certificate promo. When i tried to use it the page just looped with me not getting anywhere.

Iv tried the url

Sorry but the page you are looking for cannot be found. Please use our search or the navigation menu. Thank you for visiting John Lewis

and im getting no joy with that either i enter my email and the page simply loops back to where i was.

Any idea how else i can get the 10% off because really thats swaying me to buy from john lewis than anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by KingMike
                Do i need to buy anything else that doesnt come with the iPod itself for it to function with my setup?

Mike.
                A firewire card for optimum speed.
                OR
                You have USB2? Then a 30MB download from Apple, so broadband to obtain it preferbly.
                OR
                Only have standard USB? Help. It doesn't work with USB1.

Ideally though, a mac so you can have iTunes.

Comment

I bought my computer last summer so i doubt i have usb2 but is there a definite way i can test this?

Also bowser i wont have a mac, never will

How much are firewire cards and are they easy enough to fit if i dont have USB2 ?

Comment

I bought my computer last summer so i doubt i have usb2 but is there a definite way i can test this?
                    This is what I asked... sadly no one's replied

I do have USB2 on my PC according to the device manager, however as the machine has 6 USB ports, how can I tell which one is the USB2 one? I'm running XP btw...

Maybe I'll just get the Firewire card instead
                    Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by CFS Dubois
                      John Lewis have the 15GB iPod in stock for ?299.99 but you can use
                      this to get 10% off.
                      You've only got till midnight on the 17th July before the coupon is out of date though.

I got my 30GB iPod (for ?360 with 10% off of course ) from them a few weeks ago and I think its bloody lovely!
                      Im not getting any joy with the 10% discount. I seemed to have tracked down why though. The link you have provided is the link you had to use. If this doesnt make sense ill copy the link you posted here

http://tracker.tradedoubler.com/pan/...50DFB091996CC] to get 10% off.

Basically the url above is invalid because you have already used the gift certificate promo. When i tried to use it the page just looped with me not getting anywhere.

Iv tried the url

Sorry but the page you are looking for cannot be found. Please use our search or the navigation menu. Thank you for visiting John Lewis

and im getting no joy with that either i enter my email and the page simply loops back to where i was.

Any idea how else i can get the 10% off because really thats swaying me to buy from john lewis than anywhere else.
                      Not sure why its not working for you but if you enter xv733 as the coupon code that should work. I think its the same code for everyone.

Failing that, go to http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...hreadid=201593. That's where I found about the offer in the first place, you have to register with that forum first though.

Comment

Not sure why its not working for you but if you enter xv733 as the coupon code that should work. I think its the same code for everyone.

Failing that, go to http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...hreadid=201593. That's where I found about the offer in the first place, you have to register with that forum first though.
                        OH MY GOD! I love you. That code works so im laughing

Now i need to know if my computer is usb2 compatible or what firewire thingmajig i need to get for my computer.

Thanks CFS Dubois i really appreciate it as i now have ?30.60 discount at John Lewis.

Edit : Just noticed on the Apple UK site they do engravings which looked pretty cool when previewed. But you dont get ?30.60 discount with Apple

Comment

lol, glad I could save you some money. Now, if you had a Cahoot credit card that would be even better, since you get 7% cashback on all purchases from John Lewis with Cahoot!

I was gonna hold on till I got my Cahoot card but they were quickly running out of stock of the 30GB iPod and I only just managed to purchase the last one. I didn't want to risk it incase they never got the 30GB iPod back in stock.

Comment

the question that is worrying me is how the hell would i install that firewire 4 port jobby in to my computer as i dont think i have usb2 ports. It seems that i need to spend further money on making my computer compatible but correct me if im wrong and save me some money....

Ok so thats the iPod sorted and paid for but next is compatibility worries.

Comment

How does the Creative Zen player compare?

I'm holding off for a year or two. I'm sure the market will be flooded with similar products which should drive the prices down drastically.

Comment

Working...
                              X