Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to mod a PAL SNES to 60hz RGB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to mod a PAL SNES to 60hz RGB?

If so I'd like mine modding, pronto please.

I'd also like the LED changing to a blue one. I'm a fussy bast, I know. But it'd be cool to look at the blue light and KNOW that it's now a reborn 60hz beast.

Please PM or reply with prices.

Cheers,
    Dave.

PS. A query - If the games run in 60hz, what happens to your lap times when playing games such as Mario Kart and F-Zero? Do the clocks run at the same rate as they would on 50hz or would they also speed up as well as the game action? It'd be cool to smash my old times into the ground and to start perfecting stuff again. 8)

Flame me if I'm talking trash.

The snes outputs RGB as standard as far as i know and it's very easy to fit a 50-60Hz switch.
    Regarding games yes your laptimes will be faster via 60hz, however Nintendo increased the speed in the dsp chip found in pal copies of Mario kart to run the same speed as it's ntsc cousin.
    Only playing a ntsc copy on a pal snes increases the speed, but the game was never intended to be played this way(it's quite a ride though)

Comment

A PAL SNES can output RGB as standard. You can use a GC RGB lead, but you'll need to remove the capacitors in the SCART connector (which you can do yourself if you've got a soldering iron). That's what I did.

Some useful info here:

Comment

Originally posted by Abhisara
        A PAL SNES can output RGB as standard. You can use a GC RGB lead, but you'll need to remove the capacitors in the SCART connector (which you can do yourself if you've got a soldering iron). That's what I did.

Some useful info here:
        http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/viewtopic.php?t=3125
        Ok guys - cheers for the info. I really need to look into getting the 60hz mod done by someone though - I don't have a soldering iron and I'm not prepared to buy one just to mod my SNES.

As for the cable issue - I wouldn't really feel comfortable ripping open a ?50 GC cable just to get it working on my SNES. I bought an RGB modded N64 from someone on here not so long ago - perhaps the RGB cable I received with that will work fine (?). I'll try when I get home from Gregs house after I beat his ass at Fire Pro Wrestling Z.

Super-speed Mario Kart sounds ACE!! I must try that even if it means buying a spare PAL SNES to butcher up. If only you could do that with F-Zero too.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Moss
          As for the cable issue - I wouldn't really feel comfortable ripping open a ?50 GC cable just to get it working on my SNES.
          No no no, in that thread I talked about using the pal gc or jpn sfc rgb scart cables, not the modded ntsc gc ones. As linked in that thread, you can pick them up very cheaply.

Originally posted by Greg Moss
          I bought an RGB modded N64 from someone on here not so long ago - perhaps the RGB cable I received with that will work fine (?).
          It almost certainly will, you might have to remove capacitors though.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzybee
            Only playing a ntsc copy on a pal snes increases the speed, but the game was never intended to be played this way(it's quite a ride though)
            surely that should be pal mario kart on a ntsc snes? which would make it go 20 % faster than it should.

Comment

Good news guys.

I tried the N64 RGB cable and it worked a treat!! First game I tried was Pilot Wings and it blew me away.

DKC now looks fantastic!! I'm sure it runs a lot faster as well.

Now all I need is someone to 60hz mod it. Because I can't be arsed to do it myself.

No no no, in that thread I talked about using the pal gc or jpn sfc rgb scart cables, not the modded ntsc gc ones. As linked in that thread, you can pick them up very cheaply.
              Ah - I have loads of them! Gamester ones with the stereo-out sockets too. I'll try one of them when I get in.

Comment

Yod@ is your man.

"SNES 50/60Hz/territory mods - ?15 for both switches, plastic cartridge tabs removed"

He did a fantasic job on mine, highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitcher
                  Yod@ is your man.

"SNES 50/60Hz/territory mods - ?15 for both switches, plastic cartridge tabs removed"

He did a fantasic job on mine, highly recommended.
                  Ok cheers mate,

I think you told me this before - Either that or I'm experiencing big-style deja-vu. I'll send him a PM right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Papercut
                    Originally posted by fuzzybee
                    surely that should be pal mario kart on a ntsc snes? which would make it go 20 % faster than it should.
                    I know why you come to this conclusion but i meant what i said

Comment

Working...
                    X