N64 - RGB Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N64 - RGB Mod

Looking to replace my PAL N64 collection with a JAP/US one.

I'd like a decent machine with all the necessary mods. Is it worth me buying a RGB Modded machine, or can I simply buy a old US machine - they seem to be dirt cheap - and do the mod myself? Is it easy, never modded anything myself - apart from my MD which I made a right mess off.

There also seems to be a few different versions of the RGB mod, which is the best? - and would I be capable of doing them all.

2 final questions - will I just be able to use my GC RGB cable once i've done this mod and are there any other mods I need? - One that allows me to play US and JAP games would be nice - does that just require me to widen the cartridge slot same as the MD or is it more complicated.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

The US/Jpn games mod just involves removing some tabs,as the carts are physically the same.

Have a look here for all your answers.

I do know once you have done the rgb mod,you have to do your scart lead aswell.

Comment

All i do know is the rgb mod cant be done on all us n64's only certain early versions.

Comment

Ah I see, so i'd be best of looking for a machine thats already RGB modded in that case. Bugger.

Any chance of finding one on ebay, who do they remove that sort of stuff now?

Comment

Maybe pm Chaoticjelly. Think he had a few at some point.

Comment

Cheers Nick. The thing is I was hoping to buy a nice big bundle, rather than buying the console alone to save me having to source out all the games i'm after seperately. I had found a few nice looking bundles on ebay, but I wasn't too sure how easy it'd be to do the mod hence this thread.

I'll keep looking in any case, i'm in no rush so something should pop up eventually which suits me.

Comment

Also check out http://ntsc-uk.domino.org/showthread.php?t=62769

If you're not experienced with modding, I don't think you should do it yourself (unless you really have too much free time )

I found one on eBay eventually, but it's a longshot to find it there really.
              Only the first generation (original/black) NTSC N64's can be RGB modded. Apparently also a certain French version (see http://nfggames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1319 ).

You can use a Gamecube RGB cable, but depending on what mod was used on the consoel it may need some modification to get the image brighter. And yes, widen the cart slot and the NTSC machines can play JAP/US games (not EU though).

Comment

Cheers Shadow. Sounds like it'll be more hassle than I expected. I think i'll still wait until I see one around, hopefully one will pop up on ebay eventually, within my price range.

Comment

Working...
                X