Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NTSC TV compatability

First of all, hi everyone!

Secondly, I've got a Japanese NTSC PS2 recently and need an NTSC TV. I know from the guides I need NTSC 3.58. However, I'm on a budget (around £50 - so I'm going for 2nd hand) so CRT is my only option and would prefer a smaller TV (20") as I don't have too much room. I'm likely to get one off ebay. Could people tell me what the NTSC compatability with TVs is (I've been told all TVs from the last 10 years should be compatable - is this true?) Searching for NTSC TVs on ebay throws up several pages but many are far away from my current location (sheffield) and as I don't have a car, getting a Taxi as transport is the only viable option, or getting it posted (which would be very expensive!) What brand of TV is likely to be my best bet too?

Could someone also clear up what "ext" and "input only" mean when refering to the NTSC compatablility of a TV please? When the advert says the TV is NTSC compatable does this mean its 3.58 or the other one (4 point something?)

Cheers in advance, Oli

Edit: Would it be viable to use a monitor instead (although I would be on a budget for that too) as I am selling my Laptop for a Desktop soon (monitor will be bought seperatly)?
    Last edited by oli_lar; 21-02-2007, 10:40.

Definitely not every recent tv supports the proper NTSC signal - my (huge ) 3 year old Matsui digital tv will only display NTSC games in B&W

Comment

All Sony TVs I know of support 3,58. My brother bought a Panasonic 28" some 7 years ago which also supports 3,58.

Comment

That's correct you have to check the specs as not all UK PAL TV's are NTSC compatible particularly older CRTs. The Ext/Input thing probably just means that the TV will work with input from NTSC equipment like DVD, VCR or PS2 but not NTSC off-air broadcasts.

Comment

Cheers for the replies. I think I'm going to get one of these: http://www.ciao.co.uk/Toshiba_28N33B__5597567

The best info about NTSC 3.58 compatability I could find was:

"Video Features
          NTSC Playback on PAL TV"

Is it likely that it will play my Japanese PS2 and PC engine Shuttle?

Comment

Working...
          X