Xbox 480p Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xbox 480p Question

I have a modedd pal Xbox with the Video Mode Switcher software installed. Playing my Pal Psi Ops on it, with the Xbox set to NTSC (running through component) it doesn't look like i'm getting 480p, though i may be, i'm just not sure
    So basically what i'd like to know is do you need the U.S versions of games (Psi Ops etc) to get them displaying in 480p (ala Playstation 2), or will it work with Pal games, just by setting the Xbox to NTSC, and of course enabling 480p in the dash?
    Thanks

If 480p is set in the dash, then any game that had 480p mode will run in 480p, PAL games included.

480p is only incrementally better than 480i as it's the same resolution. Some may not see a difference at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Shakey_Jake33 View Post
      If 480p is set in the dash, then any game that had 480p mode will run in 480p, PAL games included.

480p is only incrementally better than 480i as it's the same resolution. Some may not see a difference at all.
      Ok, thanks. I guess then my next quetion is do the Pal versions of games that were 480p in the U.S retain the 480p resolution support in the code, or is it removed as in some PS2 games? Basically i've looked up Psi Ops and the like, and U.S websites say the game's are 480p enabled, are the pal version identical in that respect?

Comment

The only PAL things I remember mucking up in 480p are the EA LOTR games. Oh, and Finding Nemo *cough*

Comment

Yeah pretty much all PAL games retain the 480p support. iirc a few EA games & GTA San Andreas are problematic though.

There are even a few that run in 720p (Amped 2 & Tony Hawk Underground off the top of my head) and look pretty darn good!

Comment

Thanks gents Don't suppose there's a list (Pal preferably) anywhere?
            Will have to try my Amped 2 now

Comment

Here ya go:

I've only played one game that doesn't support 480p and that's TimeSplitters 2.

As you can see from the list, Psi-Ops supports 480p (second post.)

Comment

I can confirm that too. I recently played PAL XBox Psi-Ops (excellent game BTW) on my chipped Enigmahed to NTSC machine. It must have been running at 480p or higher (doubtful) because my TV won't or can't display a NTSC source through Component any other way. Whether it looks better than interlaced PAL through RGB SCART or Component is debatable - I think 480p has the edge in sharpness but it's small and I'm happy using either. .

Comment

Working...
                X