Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that tosh tele part 2 !!!

Hey guys - this post is a continuation of this one ;

I thought about posting in that one but I feel thatthis needs a more dedicated post

Right, I have my comp. cable and thus my set up is this

Sky - to scart socket 1
    XB - to scart 2
    GC - to comp sockets, audio provided by using the audio out part of a gamester scart

I also now have a surrond sound package (Phillips LX 700). All well and good. However, I've tried to experiance the so-called "wonders" of halo in Dolby 5.1 but notice no disconcenrable difference - Metriod prime sounds a "little" different -

So, the pojnt of the post -

Any one got any good ways to test my set up to make sure that the sound is being outputted correctly - my physical setup is done based on "what-hi-fi"'s advice so I'm thinking the prob may lie with my connections.

Any advice greatly taken 8)

ps composite picture is breath-taking - the most glorous picture ever

Originally posted by weightgain
    and

Comment

If you mean the '7000', I can't give you a definitive answer as I couldn't find specs that were complete enough. I'll give it a go though...

We are talking of this one, right?

Firstly, re: Halo are you using an optical digital cable for sound duties? I've only found that the player has 'audio in', but not what type i.e. analogue left/right or digital inputs; but if sound is via the SCART cable, you're restricted to Dolby Pro-Logic, rather than the potential 5.1. It's also worth checking that your Xbox does have the Dolby Surround and digital options selected (easily found in the 'Audio' menu).

Metroid Prime, as with any Gamecube title, will not give you discrete 5.1. The best you can hope for is Dolby Pro-Logic or Pro-Logic II, depending on your decoder. I think your setup provides the former, but it should still be capable of providing rather involving sound. Though I can't speak for Metroid, there's certainly nothing wrong with GC audio!

Another option here is to check your game settings. GC games in particular regularly require separate configuration of the sound settings and may require you to choose 'surround' as an option.

Re: the connections for the cube, your options are to have two cables (white/red left/right audio) running from an output on your TV to the LX or to have the left/right cables of the original GC AV cable running to the Philips. Both of these options will provide a stereo/surround signal.

Finally, check any settings on your TV (I haven't seen which you have yet). I have an old Toshiba Pro-Logic TV that needs to be set to 'surround off' it is to provide a clean signal to my Pioneer all-in-one, so that it can do its thing. If your TV has any kind of decoding and you have its surround options enabled, you may get a quiet and disappointing sound.

Oh (not finally!), if you also need to set the volume with your TV, then check the telly volume too! It's just one of those 'obvious' things!

Hope that lot proves useful. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Shimmyhill
        Originally posted by weightgain
        and
        My dad has a big (don't know how big, sorry) Panasonic set in the front room and the composite picture is hard to distinguish from RGB at times... I was pretty shocked.

Comment

Surely thats just a ****ty RGB then, i mean the colour bleed on composite is horrific on the best tv's (let alone the other faults)

Im pretty sure he meant component

Im in one of those moods

Comment

I hope he meant component!

<Me, who recently discovered the 'wonder' that is RGB... and is now horrified when he switches to the 'used to be okay' composite. Erk!

Comment

Composite it was
              and thanks for your great answers guys - looks like I need to buy another new cable for the xbox !

Comment

Originally posted by andy572

Firstly, re: Halo are you using an optical digital cable for sound duties?
                Just thinking as I was driving home - optical digital cable ; have in front of me an un-opened interlink 250 "monster cable"........is that the kinda one Ineed ? If so, how does it connect from the xb to the inputs on my surrond system ?? I have the advanced scart thingy for the xb........sorry just getting even more confused !!!!

Comment

You need a toslink or optical cable, this connects to the advanced scart cable's digital output, which intern connects to a digital input on your amp.
                  However from the picture i see you have an all in one system with built in dvd player ???
                  The specs i have found only suggest it has L & R audio inputs for analogue connections, as its a all in one sysyem the DD/DTS decoder is built in and goes straight to the discreet speaker outputs.
                  The specs suggest no external optical or coaxial digital input is to be found on the system pictured above so you can forget DD/DTS from an external source.

To be sure please post a list of the specs and connections for your system as a digital optical or coaxial input is required for DD/DTS from your xbox

Comment

If its the PF 2 TV that you have, then try hooking the Xbox upto the Optical-in port on the back of that.

Comment

Working...
                    X