Promblems with GOW2 on Modded PS2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promblems with GOW2 on Modded PS2?

I got God of War 2 this morn from VGP popped it into my PS2 and all it keeps doing is going to the browser screen before giving me " disk cannot be read ".

My PS2 is an old chunky one with a ( i think ) old messiah chip in it, anything else i have tried on the machine has worked flawlessly but when i e-mailed VGP they suggested it could be because its a DVD9, problem is i don't know which of my original import games are DVD9 to prove that its the disk. I have also tried it on my slim PS2 with Swap Magic 3 and all i get is "disk is not ps2 compatible"

Can anyone confirm they have DVD9 games working with swap magic 3 or there modded machine?

Swap Magic definitely doesn't work with DVD9 discs, and that's probably the issue with the Messiah as well since those are pretty old chips now and DVD9 compatibility is a relatively recent feature added to newer chips. Off-hand I know that the DMS4 and Matrix Infinity both support them.

If you need to test, the first God of War, Gran Turismo 4, and Xenosaga Episode 1 spring to mind as being on DVD9.

Comment

Ok i have actually got the game working but its very fussy, i'd say its working about 1 out of 20 times....disc or PS2?

I have none of the games you have mentioned

Comment

I am having the same problem. I am sure my chunky PS2 is a messiah one. My GOW2 worked once, I nearly came with excitement in the ten minutes I played it for until I had to go to work, now it won't work again. It must be the DVD9 thing, because I got a freebie copy of Gran Turismo 4 the other month, and ended up giving it to my lad, who has a slim un-modded PS2, cos it didn't work on mine.

Does anyone know anyone who can help me, chip wise? I ask because Crime Converters are knocking out PS2s down here now for thirty quid (slim OR chunky), so may as well buy a new one. Preferably someone who lives near me (Saarfhaampton).

I am gutted tbh

Comment

Please help! Need advice quick sharp on this!!

Comment

I had a messiah modded chunky PS2, but I found a way to boot DVD9 discs on it. Simply hold the machine at a 45 degree angle, until the PS2 logo appears and that should be that.

Comment

How do you mean? I have my PS2 horizontal, which direction do I need to tilt it? As you say it sounds ker-rrazy but exactly the sort of thing that will work in situations like these lol

Comment

yeah, keep it horizontal and lift the cd-drive end up to roughly a 45 degree angle - and that should do

Comment

Roffle - how the hell did you figure that out?

If this works, I owe you a pint, as I was one panicky post away from getting a new PS2!

Comment

Moving the machine while it's on is not generally a good idea is it? I know you definitely shouldn't for the 360 I've seen the rings of death that it causes but I wonder if it's the same for the PS2.

Comment

Originally posted by goldbricker View Post
                      Moving the machine while it's on is not generally a good idea is it? I know you definitely shouldn't for the 360 I've seen the rings of death that it causes but I wonder if it's the same for the PS2.
                      well my PS2 has been fine, but I certainly wouldnt do it with a 360.

Originally posted by Big Seany View Post
                      Roffle - how the hell did you figure that out?

If this works, I owe you a pint, as I was one panicky post away from getting a new PS2!
                      Desperation and guess work when I wanted to play Xenosaga!

Comment

Originally posted by goldbricker View Post
                        My PS2 is a right old banger anyways. I am only running it into the god-damned ground until it gives up the ghost - it only costme forty quid and has lasted me through the years.

Comment

Nah - doesn't work

Comment

Working...
                          X