Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple of questions for RPG fans - Disgaea and FF international versions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of questions for RPG fans - Disgaea and FF international versions.

I never quite finished the first disgaea and i'm intending to pick up the sequel, is the story continued or will I be fine with it? Is there any reason to import - does it have a 60hz mode for example? And would Makai Kingdom be a better choice? - I don't know which is regarded as the better game and I certainly don't have time for the pair.

And, the Final Fantasy International vers, are these all in english? As far as I know they all have features which the US and PAL versions don't, so I was planning on picking one or two of them up.

Cheers!

The International versions are just the US/PAL versions albeit in Japanese. They feature extra content that wasn't included in the original Japan release, but had been added to the US/PAL versions. So in short, nothing extra I'm afraid.

Comment

I was sure there was a jap copy of X-2 which had features that the US and PAL versions didn't have? I assumed it was the international ver, I might be wrong though.

Comment

I think you're right. I'm sure there was a Japanese release of FFX-2 with additional content. A mission set a couple months after the end of the main story, and some different dress spheres at least. But I'm not certain.

Comment

The Japanese International edition of FFX is the one to buy, IMO. It has extras not found in the US or original Japanese releases, and runs at 60Hz, unlike the PAL release. Has a full English mode, too.

I thought Disgaea 2 was miles better than Makai Kingdom. The PAL version is 50Hz only, as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Champloo View Post
            I never quite finished the first disgaea and i'm intending to pick up the sequel, is the story continued or will I be fine with it? Is there any reason to import - does it have a 60hz mode for example? And would Makai Kingdom be a better choice? - I don't know which is regarded as the better game and I certainly don't have time for the pair.
            Go for the first Disgaea then. Makai Kingdom is not a bad game, but it's not as good as Disgaea.
            MK tries to improve the grid-free battle system first found in Phantom Brave and it succeeds in some points, but still don't address some of them - and it feels a bit like a rushed job.
            Also, if you don't have a lot of spare time, Disgaea requires less time than Makai Kingdom to complete the main storyline - you'll still have to level grind a bit though.
            Be sure to track down an US copy of Disgaea: I don't know if it lacks the 60hz option, but the EU version is on a CD rather than on a DVD: no japanese dubbing, just american. Definitively something you don't want to hear.
            Or, you can go for Disgaea 2...you won't understand some cameos from previous Nippon Ichi games, but this can be said for Disgaea too.

Comment

Cheers for all the help. I think I might go for Disgaea 2, I hear its improved on the original in quite a few ways.

And i'll have to get FFX International. Can anyone confirm if the other international vers are in english and with anything over the US or Pal versions?

Comment

FFX International has English voices and subtitles, but FFX-2 International only has English voices - no English subtitles.

The additions are relatively minor tbh (dressspheres etc), the real thing is the Last Mission bonus. This is purely Japanese, but there's an online translation here http://www.warmech.net/special/lastm...stmission.html

Comment

Cheers for all the help. I think I might go for Disgaea 2, I hear its improved on the original in quite a few ways.
                  Disgaea - hour of darkness is the superior game, it has better characters and story, the rest is essentially the same bar a few minor changes. I reviewed them both for this site, see here and here

Comment

Thanks Shakey i'll go for the US version of X-2 in that case - can't manage without english dialogue.

And I might have to pick up Disgaea 1 then by your recommendation Marty, probably should have kept my PAL copy, but nevermind.

Don't mean to constanly repeat the same q's, but can anyone help me out with the international versions of VII, VIII and IX - in english? I think they exist, I know there's a international ver of VII in any case.

Cheers folks.

Comment

Don't mean to constanly repeat the same q's, but can anyone help me out with the international versions of VII, VIII and IX - in english? I think they exist, I know there's a international ver of VII in any case.
                      Never heard of any VIII & IX Int. versions. Final Fantasy VII International is 100% Japanese as far as I know.

Comment

AFAIK the International version of FF7 just had the extra Weapon bosses & other minor additions from the US & PAL versions of FF7.

Comment

Ah I see, thanks for confirmation. Looks like it'll just be X international. Nice for my wallet I guess.

Comment

Working...
                          X