Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New PS3 owner, a few questions if I may...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PS3 owner, a few questions if I may...

I've just got a US PS3 and was wondering what's best to do regards a PSN Account. Should I go for a UK one or a US one?

Is it okay registering a US serial to a UK account?

Also, I've set my display to 720p max as I prefer the look of 720p to 1080i on my set, I've a vague memory of this causing problems with games that don't support 720p ie. I'll get 480p? Is this still the case?

Get a UK, USA, HK, and JPN account. That way nothing from any of the PS stores will pass you by.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Sounds like a plan. Being a US console should I have the US ID as the one my console is registered to or does it not matter.

Also are there any instructions for setting up HK, JPN accounts?

Comment

I'm sticking with a US account for now. Having multiples is a pain tbh, I'd prefer just to check one source, and the US is going pretty much all the decent content on there fairly timely. You can use a UK mastercard to make purchases on a US store as well.

If you don't identify that your set can do 1080i, then yes, it will drop from 720p to 480p for games that can do 1080 but not 720. I'm not sure of any games that do this, but it might affect Blu Ray playback? I haven't checked tbh.

Comment

Blu-Ray is the only thing that's going to be affected by having 1080i deselected - at the moment at least, there are no games that don't support 720p (and that's unlikely to change, as far as I'm aware), but BD films can't be played in 720p on the PS3. Simple enough to just change it to 1080i though whenever you're going to watch one.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

It's asking me for a valid US address, I assumed you could just make them up...

Also is there any news on UK Store downloads not working on US machines?
              Last edited by tyler; 02-04-2007, 11:35.

Comment

Yep, a random street name and valid zip code worked for me. I always use CA 90210 or NY 10001

Comment

Cheers, seems my zip code was 1 digit out.

Comment

Do I need a separate PS3 User ID for every PSN Account?

Also is content shared across users (like demos on XBL) or would I have to sign into a different user ID to play JPN demos for example.

Comment

you can play content using any account but you need individual accounts for each region

Comment

Cheers, JPN and US accounts up and running.

Comment

Can anyone post a postcode/zipcode and location for setting up a jap account?? I am sure its probably already on here somewhere but i did a quick search and couldn't find it.

Many thanks

Comment

I used this guide: http://blogs.ign.com/xheavenxsentx/2006/12/09/39684/

And for the address just made it up, something like:

666 Minato St
                            Tokyo Bay
                            Minato
                            Tokyo

There was no post code unless that's the first 3 digit number (in which case put anything you like).

Comment

Whilst I'm asking questions, has the US backwards compatibility been fixed? (there was a jaggies problem wasn't there?) I think I have a US FFX somewhere so I can test it later.

Also do all PS2 games run in 480p?

Comment

Working...
                              X