Weird dll error message on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird dll error message on startup

My copy of XP has performed it's normal automatic update this afternoon and asked me to reboot it once it had downloaded.

So far so good but once Windows starts up I get the following error message:-

'The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied the address reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the dll should be contacted for a new dll.'

I have rebooted in safe mode and run virus software but nothing has been picked up.

I have no idea what that error message is and would be grateful if somebody could help me out. Googling the info just gives me people with the same problem.

Funnily enough most of them today

Have MS borked my PC or is it fixable?

Please help me and I will be eternally grateful.

Fixable I'd imagine. HHCTRL.OCX runs online help files in Internet Explorer. Shame on you if you're not using Firefox, which of course you should start using straight away. As the OCX is an IE file I'd imagine it wouldn't be loaded if you are using FF.
    Try installing Firefox and reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian(not Ian) View Post
      Fixable I'd imagine. HHCTRL.OCX runs online help files in Internet Explorer. Shame on you if you're not using Firefox, which of course you should start using straight away. As the OCX is an IE file I'd imagine it wouldn't be loaded if you are using FF.
      Try installing Firefox and reboot.
      Cheers for the reply. I am using Firefox so it's weird it causes an error message on boot up.

Comment

In that case I'd recommend you overwrite the rascal with another one. Send me an email address and I'll mail you mine straight from system32.
        A nose around the registry shows a couple of dozen references to that OCX, removing it from there could be a system stopper.

Comment

Scratch that last matey.
          Your OCX gets an honourary mention on Microsoft's support site.

MS02-055: Unchecked Buffer in Windows Help Facility May Allow Attacker to Run Code.
          Whereas this may not be the exact issue for you it's got to be worth getting all Windows Updates asap.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian(not Ian) View Post
            Scratch that last matey.
            Your OCX gets an honourary mention on Microsoft's support site.

MS02-055: Unchecked Buffer in Windows Help Facility May Allow Attacker to Run Code.
            Whereas this may not be the exact issue for you it's got to be worth getting all Windows Updates asap.
            I tried the hotfix download from that page but get an error message when I try to run it.

I have all the Windows Updates installed. It's just weird that this happened after the automatic Windows update.

Comment

Is this any use to you? I think it was the update that was put out yesterday:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=925902 which mentions a known issue with the update with a similar error message to yours.

That page links to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/ which looks more promising for a fix.
              Last edited by goldbricker; 04-04-2007, 13:01.

Comment

Originally posted by goldbricker View Post
                Is this any use to you? I think it was the update that was put out yesterday:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=925902 which mentions a known issue with the update with a similar error message to yours.

That page links to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/ which looks more promising for a fix.
                You sir are a star. All fixed

I owe you a beer or three.

Thanks as well Ian (not Ian).

Beers are on me

Comment

Hi

had the same problem last night and deleted some camra software Id just added.
                  But did what you suggested and sorted!!!!!

so cheers Goldbricker - If everyone gets you a beer you won't remember this easter!

Comment

Working...
                  X